New HBO Series: The Wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Knight, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

So who watched this last night?

To be honest, I didn't make it all the way through. I thought that the writing was lackluster, and the constant swearing got on my nerves. I have nothing against swearing, but it was just so constant, and without any point that that it felt like each sentence had 3-4 curse words stuffed in as filler, making the phrases unwieldly in the actors' mouths.

I know the cast can act, as many of them have previously been seen on OZ and done quite well. The story was just boring, and the dialogue clumsy.

That was my take on it. Anyone else?

2. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

I agree, it wasn't the best premiere of a new series on HBO. It definitely seemed bland compared to the season finale of Six Feet Under, perhaps coming from that great episode (best of the year, IMHO) to The Wire was part of the reason I couldn't get into that much.
    That said, I'll definitely give it another chance next Sunday to see if it picks up, there isn't much else on [​IMG]

3. David Paymer

David Paymer Stunt Coordinator

David Paymer
    I have to agree with you on the swear words every second, it got tedious. The "F" word must have been used 200 times at least. The show has potential and I'll give it another chance next week but they have got to work on the language and make the cops a little more interesting. The drug dealers were compelling, however.

4. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Since this was coming from the guy who wrote the book that inspired "Homicide: Life on the Streets," I had to give it a fair shot.

There's a lot that feels like "Homicide" in here, from the dense dialogue to the authentic feel. This doesn't look like a show that'll throw in unrealistic car chases and shoot-outs just to keep your attention, and I like that. It did assume you knew a lot about police department politics, though, which would have made it rough going for many.

Unlike "Homicide," though, both the police and drug gangs are being given equal time. The parallels between the two organizations are already interesting, and will probably become more so.

Looking at the previews, things pick up plotwise next week. This was just a table-setting episode.

Ryan

5. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I thought the writing and acting were top-notch. It was a lot of swearing, but hey, that's how people talk, especially inner-city criminals and law enforcement officers. My only disappointment was that I was hoping for something a little more than just a run-of-the-mill cop show, which is what this seems to be. As Ryan points out, I do like how the criminals get equal time. In any event, I will keep watching. The Dominic West character is great...I think he's a guy we'll be hearing a lot about in the near future.

6. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I really wanted to like it but it just did not do it for me. I'll give it a few more episodes but I was very unimpressed.

7. Jeffrey_Scotts

Jeffrey_Scotts Stunt Coordinator

I suffered through the entire show and TOTALLY hated every minute. I always try to make it through at least one, so I can judge the whole show. Just about everything was bad in my book: the script, the acting, the directing, etc. were just pathetic. My goodness, all the profanity was enough to make me leave. While I don't mind it when appropiate, it very much looses its effectivness when dished out just for the sake of it (which is what they did). It was as if they said hey, we are on HBO, look at us say what NYPD can't.
    NYPD's worst episode can't compare to this stinker of a show. I certainly won't be watching another episode. [​IMG]
    Jeffrey

8. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I got bored of it after 15 minutes. The Shield destroys it, IMO.

9. David Paymer

David Paymer Stunt Coordinator

David Paymer
    Gotta agree with you, The Shield is good stuff.

10. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

After one episode, The Shield is in a completely different league. Only time will tell if The Wire can rise up.

11. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I love The Shield, my wife and I have been hooked on it. Honestly, I think it's the swearing that turned me off. I don't have the cleanest mouth around, but it was really distracting. I just don't believe that people speak like that in real life. I've never heard someone who swore that much, and I have not lead a sheltered life by any stretch of the imagination. With each sentence chopped up like that I just couldn't feel what the characters were saying.

12. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson