What's new

New Harry Potter Novel Coming (pricing details too) (1 Viewer)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I guess Harry managed to get his O OWL in Potions, given the adult cover art. Either that or he somehow managed to find a way to stay in it without one.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

My guess: Harry Defeats Voldemort in book 8, graduates from Hogwarts, and becomes the first Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher to keep the job for more than a year. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For all those interested, I highly recommend buying the British editions as they retain the writing style from Rowling. The US (Scholastic) versions have a lot of "Americanizations" of British words.

Personally I will admit to getting into HP late (just 2 months ago) but I bought the 5 book Special Edition set from Amazon.co.uk which is clothbound with embossed gold lettering and the paper and print quality is fabolous. They use a more adult font (Berkeley) than Scholastic, and the book looks more like a "real" novel (includes gilded paper edges and built in bookmark for each book). In the 2 months, I've finished all 5 books and have my regular British edition on order for Book 6 (the Special Editions come out about 4 months after the original release, so my Book 6 SE will be purchased in October).

I actually was never a fan of Mary Grandpre's artwork so the UK (and Canada/Raincoast) editions spare me from it. I like the person who does the cover art for the UK edition, and I don't miss the chapter artwork from Mary so I'm all set.

For those interested in textual changes from UK to US editions, I highly recommend www.hp-lexicon.org - click on each book cover and it will take you to a page devoted to that book, and each has a link with textual changes from UK to US version. Be forewarned, it's an addicting site! :D

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
It isn't a DVD, but probably is of interest...

In this week's Target flyer I think it was about 16.80 or so. I just got an email from BJs Warehouse for it being 43% off - so that would be $17.10. Amazon and Borders and many others have it for 40% off - $17.99.

Any other prices?

Neil

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
If you don't need the book day of release overstock.com is selling it pretty cheap. I'm paying $15.99 for it with free shipping.

Paul

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
If you want cheap prices, watch out for Fry's Electronics. When Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was released back in 2003 Fry's had a sale of that book for US$9.99 :eek: the Saturday of the release. I read the stores sold out their copies in less than an hour, at least in the Bay Area. :D I wouldn't be surprised if Fry's does it again this year.

Meanwhile, given I have reserved a copy at Borders Books and they will hold my copy even on Saturday during daytime, I'll pick it up then and read the book slowly. :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im with those who thinks its Dumbledore who croaks.As said it makes sense to kill off the mentor and have the padawan(:))face the villian alone(like Obiwan and Luke)

Harry will prob take possession of his Phoenix as well.Are you allowed to have 2 animals?:)

Ill be out tonight and should be on my way home around midnight,so Im gonna stop at Walmart and see if I cant get a copy(As I think most will be going to Borders and Media Play).I got out of doing any work this weekend and like just about everyone else,plan on reading it straight thru this weekend.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Anyone that lives close to a Meijer can get it there for $14.87. I don't think a reservation is needed. I know their parties for it start at 11 p.m. tonight.

Good luck to everyone in getting a copy!

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
wooohooo...mine shipped from Amazon, and is here in Austin as of 6:14am ...hummm I wonder if I can go down and pick it up now? :D I guess Amazon has Saturday deliver on all of the books. I know that when I got it, it said Saturday or it's free. I'm just about done re-reading OOTP. I just hope I can get it done before the truck comes tomorrow. ;)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Update on Fry's Electronics sale: they are selling copies of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince for US$13.99 tomorrow only. Expect a massive crowd in front of that store tomorrow as the riot breaks out trying to get every last copy. ;)

Meanwhile, I will likely pick up my pre-ordered copy from Borders Books tomorrow morning just to avoid tonight's crowd. :emoji_thumbsup:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've never attended a midnight party at a bookstore, and think it might be fun...but then I've not had much sleep this week. More than likely I'll do as I did with the last book - strolled into Costco and grabbed my copy from the HUGE platform of books. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Do people absolutely have to have it tomorrow? I don't understand why everyone is in such a tizzy to get one at midnight or whatever. It's not like they're going to run out.

There were copies of OOTP piled to the sky in every store I walked through a couple years ago when that came out, and they're printing 2 million MORE of this new one. I didn't hear of a single place that was "Sold Out" of Phoenix.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I'm not worried about places being sold out, I just want to read the damn thing. I'm just torn right now between the standard and deluxe edition. I'd go deluxe, except that the first four aren't available in that style and I like things to match. If I knew they'd go back and release deluxe copies of one through four I'd E-bay a deluxe book 5 and then buy the rest in that format. As it is I'm not sure.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Um, its because people are really excited to read it :) I doubt anyone is worried about not being able to find a copy.

And I belive the "riot" was mentioned because the Fry's sale is incredibly cheap and on Saturday *only* which is more incentive for people to buy it the first day instead of waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks