What's new

New Harman Kardon (1 Viewer)

BurtS

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a refurbished Harman Kardon AVR325 , what do you guys think I paid $395.00. Whats a high fidelity surround speaker to use as well as the extra speaker for the ex 6.1 or 7.1

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Go to a Best Buy and Circuit City and check out some Athenas and JBLs and Polk Audio and Infinity. Since BB sells HKs, you may get to listen to them, hooked up to the same receiver you have.........

Jarvis_R

Agent
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I dont think BB sells HK. I know CC does though (probably what you meant).
I have the 525 and I'm using polk rti's (last years models)

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator
I have a refurbished 325 I bought for $390. I also run Polk RTI's (last years model) and I love my system. Best Buy does not sell HK. Circuit City does.

BurtS

Stunt Coordinator
How are you guys hooking up your dolby ex 6.1? My receiver has 7.1 does that work with the ex. Right now I have 2 main speakers in front with center channel, then behind my seat I got 2 surround speakers in the corners. With the ex am I supposed to move my 2 surround speakers to the sides and put the extra 2 speakers where my surrounds are currently in the back of my chair for the ex?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Sort of yes, BurtS.....

EX works for both 6.1 and 7.1 setups....

yes, the existing rears should become Rear Sides

On 6.1 I still like the rear sides to be just behind the seating. On 7.1 I tend to move them to the sides of the back most seating positions.

Greg_sford

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Burt, I'm looking at this receiver too, seems a good deal for what you get - only a year old. Let us know how you like it once you get it set up. You might ask your speaker question in the speaker forum - what do you have for mains?

BurtS

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have two old school Technics speakers for mains, they are old but they are really good speakers and can make earthquakes in the house if I choose. Im looking for the best small high fidelity type wall mount speakers. This system im putting together is more for home theatre and im looking for superior sound quality. I run midrange speakers in my car called diamond audio with full custom dsp and thats sort of what im aiming at for my home. I acutally dont have the receiver yet but its ordered and on its way. I had to cough up 100.00 to ship to Hawaii so I paid a total of 467 dollars just for the receiver. I am currently running a rca(radio shack garbage) home theatre that I bought for 330.00 couple years ago and the receiver is already broken. The thing is with that receiver the buttons dont work right on the receiver even though I only used the remote and it doesnt activate my surround channels anymore :thumbsdown:

BurtS

Stunt Coordinator
How do you guys hook up speaker wires to the avr325, does it recommend special wires with an adapter. I found a way but it seems I should do it another, Banana Plugs?

DonJ

Second Unit
I have Paradigm Monitor Series with my HK 320... It's a sweet setup. I also have Monster Cable MC cable with Monster tip Quick Lock connectors. They are very user friendly to put together and make dis and reconnect easy also.

I would strongly suggest using the HK to power some Digms. IMO you can't beat the BANG for the BUCK. By getting the HK already says that you are not easily swayed by gimmicks and want something that truly sounds good and that's what Paradigm is about.

PatrickDT

Grip
I work at best buy, and no, we do not sell Harman... I wish we did or I wouldn't be fishing online. Klipsch speaker, though sound great with an HK... The Harman is rather smooth and warm, and the Klipsch speakers are very bright and detailed, so you really reap the benefits of both worlds without sounding muddy or harsh, I personally own this combo, and it's a good marriage.

BurtS

Stunt Coordinator
I should be getting my Polk rm6700 speakers tomorrow :) I still got to order some omnimounts for them and get descent gauge speaker wire.

Greg_sford

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Burt, sounds like we are putting together similar systems about the same time. I just ebayed a HK 525. Did you get an owners manual with your system? If not, you can find them on HKs website. It looks like the binding posts can either take the speaker wire directly, or you can use banana clips. I've seen threads on this connection that suggest the direct wire is best, unless you expect to be disconnecting frequently, in which case the bananas are preferred. They recommend at least 14 gauge wire. Let us know how things go...

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Temporarily, my Athena setup is running off my H/K 225. Granted, it lacks the sonic oomph of my Pioneer Elite 53TX, but the setup is quite good. Athenas are good for a budget setup, and definately worthy of an audition (no pun intended).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks