New Harman Kardon receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jason Garver, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Jason Garver

Jason Garver Stunt Coordinator

I have been shopping for a new receiver and am leaning towards a Harman Kardon. I will also be getting new speakers, most likely a Rocket ELT Center and 6 Rocket ELT bookshelves.

Would the Harman Kardon AVR430 be a good match? 65w does not seem like a lot of power. Will it be enough to power the ELTs which are rated for 150w max? Also Im a little worried that Im paying for aesthetics when buying a new HK. Is there a similiar receiver from another manufacturer that I should be looking at?

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Actually you will be suprised to find out HK is one of the most honest reciever companies out there. Now one thing to remember is that a reciever is an amplifier and not a wattifier, although watts are part of the whole thing.

Now when you take a look at a Sony reciever or Yamaha reciever that is rated at 100W x 5channels it isn't the truth, at least with the lower to mid end lines. I read some stuff here and seen some performance charts where the Yamaha RX-V2400 rated at something like 110W x 7 channels only performed at around 38W per channel... big difference huh?

Now your speakers make also be rated for 150W but that is the max they can possibly handle. You should need perhaps more than 30W to get them up to acceptable levels that will please you.

I own HK recievers and recommend them to everyone... I love them and the tech support HK offers is great. I just had a problem with my remote and they said ok here is an RMA just send it back, no asking what was wrong or anything. Just said we will send you a brand new one.

Anyways, good luck with your decision. The HK is a great choice.

3. Mark Hendrickx

Does anyone know if there are any key differences between last year's HK receiver, i.e. the AVR 525, and this year's new models, i.e. the AVR 630 and 430?

The only differences I can find are a redesign of the front display, a redesigned remote with an lcd readout, and Dolby Headphone decoding.

I find myself lusting after the new design, but it is hard to rationalize selling my perfectly good AVR 525, which I love, just for aesthetics.

4. Jason Garver

Jason Garver Stunt Coordinator

Is there anything the AVR630 has that I will regret not having if I go with the AVR430? I am a bit naive when it comes to understanding the differences because I am unsure of what some of the abbreviations mean, or what their real world applications are.

5. John S

John S Producer

DPLIIx, I believe the 430 only has DLPII?

I won't swear to it though... lol

6. ChrisLazarko

The only difference I think there really is, is that the 630 has some more power... other than that I don't see a difference. Also, John, HK recievers don't yet use PLIIx and they probably won't use it for a while as from my personal experience and experience from other people on the forum they enjoy Logic7 from HK more than DPLII.

7. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Hey Jason,

If you are still planning on coming down tomorrow you will be able to audition the HK as well. I have a 7200 that I just got the other day. I was taking a step back with my HT setup to put some additional $$$ into my 2 channel gear. I have had seperates for the last couple years and I have to say that this receiver isn't bad in terms of power and sound quality..

Let me know about tomorrow.

Bob

8. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

The 630 has digital bass management on the 6/8 channel inputs, the 430 does not. It has HDCD as well, the logo is on the front.

9. Mark Hendrickx

I could see the digital bass management being useful, but I think HDCD is a joke. I own about 600 cd's, and only 2 or 3 of my cd's are hdcd, of which the only one that comes to mind is Tool Lateralus.

With SACD and DVDA around, hdcd is practically obsolete already. Moreover, I never did notice a difference on my cd's with hdcd. Has anyone else noticed a quality difference?

10. Mark Hendrickx

I ended up buying the HK 430.

I investigated more, and the 430 does indeed have the digital bass management like the 630, so indeed the only differences are the HDCD and the extra wattage.

I sold my AVR 525 on ebay and was fortunate that after everything was said and done, it only cost me $45 to get the AVR 430.

The AVR 430 has 5 watts less per channel than my AVR 525 did, but I would never use that much wattage, and I really like the new remote and the new silver accents on the new HK's. Yep, I swapped out a receiver solely for aesthetic reasons--guilty as charged.

11. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

The 430 has digital bass management but not for the 6/8 channel analog inputs. If you use SACD or DVD-Audio that may be a big advantage of the 630.

12. Mark Hendrickx

13. Ozzie_Sheikh

Ozzie_Sheikh Auditioning

It does not support analog bass management, I sent an email to h/k tech support. They say its a misprint in the manual. I feel cheated now, [​IMG].

14. Mark Hendrickx

15. Ozzie_Sheikh

Ozzie_Sheikh Auditioning

I guess we will find misprints as they go.

H/K is trying to play it off as its a small typo. Not cool imo, they are trying to give me the shaft saying there is nothing we can do "misprints" happen.

16. ChrisLazarko

Well i'm sure that when someone higher-up find outs in the department they will fix it. But it is hard to fix everything that has already been sent out. I'm sure that they will fix it once the problem is noticed by someone with some authority.