New Happy Z1 Owner!!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark Amayao, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

I havent been on the computer since the Martheaplexx is now under construction to accomodate the new PLVZ1 Projector.
    Unforunately My unit has a stuck blue pixel and is being swapped out tommorrow (when I picked it up I didnt get the chance to check for stuck or dead pixels.)

So far I have watched at least 3 minutes of clips from each and every DVD I own. It looks amazing. I have watched two whole movies on it so far. Harry Potter ATCOS and 8 mile.
    Both Movies I thought were great for Black level. I am very surprised at how well the Z1 performed. One of the best investments I have made so far. I am at a loss for words on how happy I am with this projector.

As far as the screen goes. In the past 3 days I had off, I have tried 3 different screens. One Blackout cloth unpainted. Another Blackout cloth painted rustoleum silver. and I will go into detail in a little bit on the one I currently am using.

Cut it short by sayin the silver painted Blackout was the best but I am not at all a great painter and could not get an even enough coat. Plus the Blackout cloth had a little texture in some area and was visible during movies.

Plain Blackout was good didnt really take notice. It was the first screen I tried and was in awe of the projector and excited that I was a new owner of one.

I found this new stuff while picking up some more Blackout to go back to Plain. I didnt get the Blackout. I ended up walking out with something else. Because of the hassle of painting I decided to just ask them aout gray fabrics (Joanne's). We perused through a couple kinds and most of them had to much texture. Then she pulled out some stuff that ha some zip to it. It was this Gray Nylon stuff. Very tight thread and very light. Had a nice sheen to it. Not light charcoal with sparklets but light charcoal with a sheen.

I am using this stuff now, and it looks great! Just thought you guys might want to take a look Ill get the model number tomm. $1.69 per yard! I will still explore different materials but for now I am VERY happy with this one.
    I LOVE THIS THING AND WILL UPDATE PICS ON SITE ONCE EVERYTHING GETS DIALED IN.

Couple questions to Z1 owners. This thing runs hot. Anything I should be concerned about? ......
    Is it possible for you guys maybe to share some settings?!
    Screenshots on the way also.

Hey Ron hows the projetor coming along? I havent been on much lately (for obvious reasons) to see what was up with your project.

2. Peter W.H

Peter W.H Extra

Congrats, when I get home my new Panny 200u is awaiting. So I will be curious to know your fabric color. Funny I was thinking the exact same thing about finding a suitable fabric color instead of painting. Good Luck.

Peter

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Awesome and congratulations. The gray cloth is an idea that I had for some time and if you can find the correct type of cloth, it is a worthwhile option. You will find that you get better black levels as compared to a white screen. The silver stuff (depending on what you use), tends to give a little more gain than the gray screens without compromising the black level too much.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Congrats Mark!

5. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

No takers on sharing their Z1 settings? I am also a Z1/1hd new owner. So far the only things I have tinkered with is Cinema mode, low colors, and a slight reduction in sharpness.

6. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Robert, you might want to go check out Steve Smallcombe's review of the Z1 (if you haven't already) While he doesn't post any settings, he does give an indication of what is possible with some tweaking.

RG