New H/Ks vs HK525

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt Lee, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Agent

So I'm starting to think with the new H/Ks rolling out, and the 525 on clearance a lot of places, and me being poor but really wanting to upgrade to a good reciever (currently using my roommate's Panasonic SA-HE100 with my JBL Studio series speakers and my Denon DVD-1600) that now is the time to move on the 525.

I looked at the 525 next to a 430 (I think) at Circuit City and was even able to A/B them and though I could discern a slight difference between them, I couldn't say which necessarily sounded "better." They both sounded excellent. So it all comes down to price and features.

First off, the 525 is a good choice because it has enough power for me without question. We've seen S&V tests proving it puts out over its rated 70Watts/channel, and that's about all I ask. I don't expect the new H/K models would disappoint in that department either, but for slightly more than I'd pay for a 525, I would probably have to end up going with the 430, which is I believe 65watts/channel. Now I don't know if even 60 is anywhere close to being underpowered for my purposes. I'm not in a huge room, but I want to be safe, especially since I may be moving in a year or so and am hoping that once my current HT setup is complete, I'm going to plug my ears and go "lalala" to any higher end stuff for a few years so I can just be happy and not upgrade for awhile.

I'm leaning towards saving money on the 525, but I'm concerned the 430 might have some features I'm not picking up on that make it more suitable to coming advancements. I heard the new HKs have better processors but like I said, I couldn't hear any improvement so unless its some specific processing they have like DPLIIx or something to enhance 7.1 more than Logic 7 the 525 has, I'm not aware of any specific advantage. The only thing I can think of is since the 430 has DTS 96/24 if all HD-DVDs had DTS96/24 soundtracks or something I might miss out, but if 96/24 soundtracks hit in any other format, I'd be SOL anyway.

So am I missing anything, or am I probably likely to be happy with the 525 for at least a few years until I do something sick like go to separates? [​IMG]

2. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

The AVR430 is about $400 more then the AVR525. It's mostly cosmetic changes I think. I compared the rears of 430, 630, and 525 and they are identical. This years models probably got some minor changes. I couldn't find anything significant and picked up a 525 for $500 shipped. I couldn't justify almost twice the price for minor differences. Go to H/K's ebay store. There are plenty 525s still left.