What's new

New Guy with questions (1 Viewer)

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, first I like to say that this is a great site. I have read so much great information that has given me more insight into making my first purchase. Well Here is my question, I bought a Mitsubishi 48" Hd tv about 4mos ago. I love it. I paid 1500+tax for it new at the local hifi house. Now I would like to get the surround sound to go with it. I have a friend that takes great care of his stuff and he offered me a technics sa-gx650 receiver, matching 5 cd changer and dual tape deck, Bose am-500 speakers and the bose v300 surround sound kit, with all wires for $250. Do you think this would be good for a start up kit or should I go shopping for something else. Also will that receiver work well with the movies that are produced today. I see that the unit say "Dolby pro logic surround sound" and also "new class A" and also it says "digital delayed surround sound". If anyone could provide Any information on this stuff and weather it is worth the money please let me know thank you
Joe*H

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Well it's older pro-logic equipment, so it's not 5.1, so while it will work temporarily, you should move to a Dolby Digital/DTS capable 5.1 receiver. Furthermore, Bose is universally hated in the audio communities, but for 250 bucks the gear might be fine temporarily, but I would try to talk him down in price quite a bit. But again, better speakers would be my first tact, even if I used the receiver for a little while while figuring out what kind of receiver options and features i wanted (it can get a bit complicated).

Also, have you found the beginner's primer and FAQ?

If not: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=120328

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’ll agree with Chris across the board, except that $250 seems like a pretty reasonable for that much equipment, especially if it’s all in excellent condition. Sure, it’s outdated but it will get you down the road for now, and later it can be “demoted” to a secondary system – bedroom, garage, workroom, etc.

As Chris noted, it’s Dolby Pro-Logic, not Dolby Digital 5.1. However, you didn’t indicate that you have a DVD player, or that you intend to get one soon. If you see DVD in your future, then I’d say pass on this and put your money towards that – it will require newer electronics top-to-bottom. If not, then this system will do fine for routine TV viewing.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Greetings, gentlemen and welcome Mr. "New Guy," Joe!

I am going to rewrite the descriptive blurb for that Basics area. But, for the record, the area is intended for general discussion at the beginner level. An example of such a question that is perfect for the section would be, "Would it make sense to purchase a Pro-Logic-only vintage receiver with old speakers as a beginner setup?"

My sense — and correct me, Joe, if I am wrong — is that you are looking for specific advice on a starter system, with brand-name recommendations. If so, then this is where such a query should be posted.

Just let me know.

To answer your question, if the budget is a little tight after having purchased such a sophisticated RPTV, then yes, in a pinch, you can at least get some sort of surround-sound experience if $250 is what you want to put down for now.

But some serious research will reveal that it's entirely possible to shop wisely and net a genuinely modern system and stay under a grand if you play it right. You can get a basic, entry-level A/V receiver that will provide Dolby Digital and DTS 6.1 capability for under $400. And you can find a really decent sat/sub speaker suite to round out the $1K budget by careful price-comparison shopping.

The beauty of this all is that you can establish an upgrade path at the very entry level. And as time and money allow you can work your way piecemeal into a really knock-out system.

It's the sort of thing hobbyist-audio enthusiasts have been doing since the dawn of high-fidelity home audio. Ain't it neat? :)

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
I think this receiver is 5.1, it has spots for a&b front speakers (left and right), Center , Rear (left and right), and a sub output. the speakers included are 2 front double cubes 1 v100 center, 2 v300 rear speakers and the am500 sub. But the only thing that says digital is the digital delay surround sound. But from what I gather you are all saying is that this receiver is not able to play the dvd sound the way it is made to be played. If that is correct Should I pass and look on for a better deal. I realy dont what to buy one of those store setups.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Correct.. I do not think it is Dolby Digital 5.1.....
Doesn't mean it's bad, and it will produce surround from all sources, most likely via the 2 channel analog inputs.

Do a search on the Onkyo 760 system, this includes a full featured DD 5.1 and DTS 6.1 AVR (Surround reciever) all speakers, and a sub, I have seen it for as low as $350 or so. Best of luck man. Do be afraid to buy it refurbished, this model has been discontinued, but they are still around. The Onkyo 770 has replaced it, and is still a dang good deal for what you get, and how expandable / change-able the system is. Most people that get these, are very satisfied with them.

Well, I did some searches, and it looks like the killer deals on the 760 have dried up, even refurbished. The 770 is under $500 with basically free shipping a few places. But do your own searches, you may come up with a gem of a deal yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks