New guy with a receiver question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Peter J, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Peter J

Peter J Auditioning

I'm brand new to this forum and apologize if my question is too basic or incomplete. I'm trying to upgrade an existing rather low-end HT system and find that my research choices are limited to rather useless sales people at local big-box stores or high-end audio people who turn their noses up when all I want is a receiver and some install help (I've had 2 come out, and never respond with the estimate they promised).

Essentially I think I need to upgrade from my Denon AVR1602 to something with separate audio output channels to drive additional speakers in my dining room and outside patio. Right now the dining room sound has to be cranked up to 75% or more to be heard. The outside speakers have not yet been installed.

I also find that the 1602 (or at least the way my "pro" hooked it up) feeds to my family room SubWoofer 100% of the time (even when the A/B switch is off for A). I mean that the 5 Family room speakers (A) do not emit sound when I'm on B only (dining room), but the SW DOES.

A friend has recently purchased a Denon AVR-3805, loves it, and says it is just what I need. But that's quite a jump (something like 3x the price). My question (other than anything else can be explained about the above situation) is whether there are reasonably good alternative receivers, at lower price points, that will resolve these issues.

Thanks for any help.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Peter,

It appears that your needs are more than your equipment can handle.

From what I can see from the on-line manual for your 1602, it appears your “pro” hooked up the A/B speakers correctly. Unless there is some option in the receiver’s menu to turn off the sub for the “B” speakers, there’s nothing you can do about it, short of turning off the sub manually.
    I would agree. If the 1602 had a L/R pre output, that would be all you need. You could hook up a separate amplifier dedicated to the dining room and outdoor speakers and turn them on and off as needed.

You don’t really need to go all the way up to a 3805 to get the accommodations you need. The 1905 would probably do it. It has RCA outputs for a Zone 2 amplifier, and also speaker connections that can be assigned for a Zone 2. If I read the manual right, Zone 2 has separate volume and source selection to boot. Since you’d have it as “left-over” anyway, the ideal solution would be to use your 1602 as the Zone 2 amplifier for your dining room and future outdoor speakers, and you wouldn’t have to worry about the subwoofer problem anymore.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. John S

John S Producer

As far as the sub is concerned, many people that A/B to room distribute, end up using the speaker level input to their sub from the front speaker out puts, in between the AVR and the front speakers and tell the AVR that you have no sub. Most sub's have this feature. Works pretty well, not as good as a true line level to the sub though. This would at least solve your sub issue.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to Home Theater Forum, Peter.

Since you're asking for specific-model advice on a possible receiver upgrade, your thread has been moved here to the Receivers/Amps section. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level.

Good luck. (You might consider a more modest upgrade to, say, the Denon 1804.)

5. Peter J

Peter J Auditioning

I've done a little more checking, based on the suggestion of the AVR1905, and also see an AVR2105. The microphone Auto set-up feature and about 12% more power seem to be the only difference between them.

Is the mic feature (+10watts) worth the approximate $150 price difference??

Note: The 1804 appears to be discontinued.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    At this point, Peter, it would probably be best to open new thread asking for people’s opinions and experiences using the 2105’s auto set-up feature.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt