new guy wants to thank everyone for renewing his interest.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul watkins, Feb 22, 2002.

1. paul watkins

paul watkins Stunt Coordinator

Feb 22, 2002
    hello,i would like to thank everyone here for renewing my interest in HT,i've had my set up for over a year now,and up until 3 days ago i had just about forgot how speacial the whole home theater experience is.what i mean is just buy luck i found this forum,and only after reading about ten or so threads i realized how much effort and dedication goes into one's hobby and something he or she can be proud of.
    I remember when i first got my home setup completly hooked up,i was so proud that i called everyone i knew to come over and expierence my HT.i'm in college and all my buddy's where just blown away by the sound of 500 watts,played in DTS,along with the beutiful sound of bass.
    Well that lasted a good couple of months.then slowly i got used to it and other things got my attention.but now that i have discovered this forum i have a new lease on what i would like to accomplish.there are alot of people here that just blow me away with the detail of some of the answers they gave,i only wish that i would have found this place along time ago,it would have made the learning curve alot easier.
    just buy reading these threads i know how great it is having the pleasure of something that not everyone can experience.
    bye the way some of you guy's have taken this to a whole new level from what i see. I NOW HAVE GOALS.
    paw's HT
  2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    i know exactly what you mean. i've been into audio since i was about 14. my uncle gave me my first system. it was one of those old pioneer receivers with the long tuning dial going across the entire front display, a top-ejecting tdk tape deck with analog meters, and some speakers (can't remember brand).
    it probably took me half a day to figure out how to hook it up! i was so discouraged, but once i figured it out i couldn't wait to show everyone!
    throughout high-school i became sort-of known as the guy who made great mixed-tapes! soon i upgraded my system (again courtesy of one of my uncles) and had a turntable. then i bought an equalizer! woo-hoo! there was no stopping me then!
    although i was still interested in (and sold) ht gear for many years, i'd say my interest definitely went downhill. for the past few years i'd say i only had a moderate interest.
    then i found this site. it got me all excited! i was like, wow, there's other people out there like me! i'm not alone in the world anymore! (okay, so maybe there's other sociological issues at work here, but i'll blissfully continue to ignore them! [​IMG] )
    anyway, now i'm posting, learning, subscribing to a/v journals and just having a good ol' time!
    man...what was i talkin' about???
  3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Jul 31, 1997
    Cees Alons

Welcome to the HTF.

Glad you found us, and yes we love this hobby too. Does it show?

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Dec 15, 2000
    Paul -- Welcome to the HTF! I hope you build that old HT flame and re-experience the joy that I and many others continue to experience in this hobby. I'm about $300.00 away from being able to afford a $2,000.00 audio system in one fell swoop (minus subwoofer). The sub will come about a month later when I'm able to afford a powered Sub from SVS.
    Hmmm...the excitement for my new audio system is building every day! [​IMG]
  5. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Dec 18, 2001
    Paul, my interest in HT and just plain music was not as great as when I purchased my first setup in 1994. I recently (3 months) began reading this forum and next thing you know I have built my own main, center and rear speakers, moved into the separates tier (Parasound 2003A and 2200II amplifiers, Marantz AV-550 pre/pro), upgraded to a Sony Wega 36", and Panasonic DVD player.
    Holy cow does the theater sound awesome. Now my wife wonders when the buying will stop.[​IMG]