What's new

New Guy here.... (1 Viewer)

Chris Davies

Auditioning
Hi , After reading these forums for the past few days , I am very happy to have found this place ! Alot of very knowlegable people here . I plan on learing alot more than what I already know about HT.
I recieved an unexpected present from my fiance for X-Mas . A 42" Panasonic TH-42PW4 Plazma display . (now I know why I'm marring her :D )... Anyway , I have a couple of questions :
1- What is the difference between a EDTV and HDTV ?
2- Should I use the component connecton or S-Video ?
I am currently using a HK AVR-15 reciever ( not a 150 but a 15) and plan on upgrading soon I hope .
Hope to hear from you guys soon !

Stefan A

Second Unit
Now that's the perfect fiancee :). I once read about EDTV but I don't remember what it actually is. What I do know is that HDTV is the superior video format. You will need a HD converter - otherwise known as set top box (stb) and an actual HD signal to get HDTV. Definitely use component connections. It is one notch higher than s-video - which is also good, but not AS good.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You are a lucky guy.I have to fight tooth and nail to add or even to have my system.It is getting better though.You be sure to be nice. Steve nn

Chris Davies

Auditioning
Thanks guys .

I assumed that the component connection would be better , so thats how I initally hooked it up . I'm working on installing some spotlights and finishing up my new cabinets today . I will post some pics of the current system later this evening .

Ergin Guney

Agent
EDTV stands for "Enhanced Definition Television". It is not a different video format or signal standard. I might call it a "feature designation". When a TV is capable of receiving all high-definition signals but can only display up to 480p (downconverting the higher ones to this), it is supposed to be called an "EDTV" display according to current market regulations, in order to differentiate it from "HDTV" sets that can receive the same signals and display them at least up to 720p or 1080i. In other words, an "EDTV set" is like a regular progressive-scan NTSC display together with a built-in HDTV downconverter that converts all signal formats down to progressive NTSC. It can receive all digital TV signals (all 18 ATSC modes) the same as HDTV sets, but can only display them as progressive NTSC; not true high-definition. Sorry if this comes as bad news to you, Chris.

Brad Craig

Stunt Coordinator
Finally found this thread... whew

My question is now that I understand the difference between EDTV and HDTV >>> What does full defintion TV mean aka FDTV???

Chris Davies

Auditioning
Brad , Sorry I can't answer your question . But I'm sure someone will .
I just wanted to show off my finished cabinet project .
Link Removed
Oh yah . I almost forgot.....
My wife and I just forund out we are going to have a baby !
And with that , we have to re-locate our office to the basement (currently unfinished )to make room for the nursery . So you know what that means...
I get to make a screening room in the process !
I'm going with some kind of front projector (widescreen of course)
Just thought I would share in all of my good news .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks