New Guy here, please help me with some THX-EX /DTS-ES questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles Bunnag, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Charles Bunnag

Hi everyone. Unlike most people here, I only have a Dolby Prologic System. Last year I was considering upgrading to a 5.1 system since I was tired of having some great DVD's but not realizing their full audio potential. But then THX-EX and DTS-ES recently came along...well that just screwed everything up. So now Im still stuck with a Prologic system, and my family isnt too cool with the idea of shelling out alot of money for a new receiver. They wanna know if 6.1 is really going to sound THAT much better than our current 4 channel system. So for anyone out there with experience, can you please tell me if a new 6.1 system is going to make that big of a difference in my home theatre. Will the sound feel larger and more atmospheric? In fact, Im positive it will, but I just wanna be sure so my family cant get in a big "I told you so" on me.
    Also, I know that if I do get a new receiver with THX-EX and DTS-ES, Im gonna need some new Surround Back speakers. Can I get by with just one, or should I really go for 2. And can you recomend some good surrounds too?
    Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Charles,
    I can't imagine anyone saying that there is no discernable difference between 4-channel prologic and 6.1. I am sure they would be impressed if you went with 5.1.
    The jump between the two is a big one. Trust me on this. It will be you that has the last laugh.
    BTW, welcome to the forum.
    ------------------
    -Dwayne
    "And vidi films I would."

3. Charles Bunnag

Thanks Dwayne,
    A few more posts like that and my family will be totally cool with me getting a new reciever. Plus, anyone got any suggestions for surrounds?

4. Kevin N

Kevin N Stunt Coordinator

Listen to JBL's at Best Buy, but don't buy them there... [​IMG] They're so overpriced (30-50%).
    ------------------
    Kevin Nielsen
    My HT

5. Charles Bunnag

Sean Con,
    Im using a Yamaha NS-AC140 for my center (Id like to get a new center too, but lets not push it). My Left and Right Channels are Kef Q30. My current surrounds are Bostons (I forget what type)but I know Im gonna need two more for 6.1 My current idea is to use my current surrounds for the center surround and get two new speakers for Surround Left and Surround Right.

6. DanSt

DanSt Stunt Coordinator

The jump from Pro Logic to 5.1 was HUGE. You and your family won't be disappointed with the move up. I was extremelly impressed with 5.1. My move to 6.1 wasn't as big. If you can't do 6.1 don't worry, 5.1 should be your concern.
    ------------------
    ...transmission terminated...
    Anubis
    [email protected]