New guy here! Need amp or receiver that will push a pair of Polk LSi25s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleT, Nov 9, 2002.

1. KyleT

KyleT Stunt Coordinator

Nov 8, 2002
    It's got to push at least 200 watts per channel RMS at 4 ohms stable into 2 channels. I've not been able to find a single reasonably priced receiver that would do that- heck, I can't even find an outrageously priced receiver that will do that.
    Some of Onkyo's receivers are rated down to 4ohms, but then if you read the online manual (pdf format), it says anything lower than 6ohms will damage the speakers.
    So I guess I'm going to be stuck with running a dedicated amp- which is OK I guess.
    So I'd like to keep it under 700 bucks (street price), but I need an amp that will be reliable, supply at least 200 watts RMS at 4 ohms (higher wattage is fine too... more the better, just needs to be at least 200), and won't create listener fatigue... I like to listen to music for hours on end, so I don't want an amp that is going to make my speakers sound any harsher or brighter than they already do with a 'neutral' amplification source.
    So what amp (or receiver if you actually know of one) would be best for this application?
    The only one that I've found that looks OK is AdCom's GFA-5400 and 5500 amps... but I've heard that they tend to make speakers much brighter and harsher than they would be otherwise, so that kind of scares me.
    What do you suggest?[​IMG]
  2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    Kyle: All consumer receivers, integrated amplifiers, and power amplifiers on the market can drive 4-ohm loads comfortably. And typical transistor designs pump more power across the range into a 4-ohm load than they do into 8 ohms. Just look for a design that can drive those speakers with enough "oomph." (But you most likely don't need a unit rated to deliver 200 watts across 20Hz-20kHz with both channels driven.) JB

Postscript: I once drove the notoriously inefficient Dahlquist DQ-10a phased array system (an audio legend) with "only" 125 watts per channel into 8 ohms, from a Marantz Model 250 power amp.
  3. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Aug 29, 1999
    Two weeks ago I was told over the telephone by Pioneer (re: Elite 45TX receiver) and Yamaha (re: any of their latest receivers) that I should not use the mentioned units with 4-ohm-rated loudspeakers. I was inquiring about using only the two rear-channel amplifiers to drive our Polk LSi surrounds (I would use the pre-outs for the remaining channels). It was made clear to me that even though I would be using only two of the built-in amp channels, it was not recommended and that the receiver would almost certainly trigger its protection circuits. I took the warning seriously and did not purchase any of the units under consideration.

If you find the LSI-25s harsh or bright, something is very much amiss. The LSi line's sonic signature is neutral to slightly warm, and smooth as butter.

As for amps, you don't need at least 200 watts per channel unless you wish to damage your hearing or you reside in an auditorium, in which case the LSi-25 would be out of place anyway.

For instance, using our McIntosh 6500 integrated amp with our Polk LSi-25s, the amp's power meters (calibrated for a 4-ohm impedance) have never gone beyond about 50-80 watts on the loudest action DVDs or music passages. The Polk's powered bass driver relieves an amp from having to drive the most bass-hungry frequencies.

In my opinion you do not need a super-powered amp for the LSi-25.

Previously I used an Adcom 5503 with the Polks. It was a nice synergy--neutral to a bit warm, and smooth.

In your price range, what comes to mind are the smaller, yet excellent, two-channel amps from Parasound, B&K, and Adcom (I also have a 5400--it sounds essentially identical to the 5503 and 5500). If I think of any others I'll post here again. might be worth a look.

Happy listening!