New Grammy category for Surround Sound

Phil A

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Phil
http://www.grammy.com/news/academy/2...3trustees.aspx

"An entirely new GRAMMY Award field titled Production, Surround Sound, was ratified, along with its first category Best Surround Sound Album (All genres included; for commercial releases on DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, or SA-CD providing an original surround mix of four or more channels. The award will go to the Surround Remix Engineer, Surround Producer [if any], and Surround Mastering Engineer [if any]). New categories also were added in existing fields: in the Dance field for Best Electronic/Dance Album; in Gospel for Best Gospel Performance (for singles or tracks with Gospel lyrics); and in Folk, for Best Hawaiian Music Album. This brings the total number of GRAMMY categories for the 47th Annual GRAMMY Awards in February 2005 to 107."

Phil A

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Phil
Yep, there's no doubt that that would be the leading contender. Perhaps it was one of the reasons to add the award.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder what the criteria is for judging/rating the titles?

Marty M

Cinematographer
Reaction score
We seem to have two identical threads going here. I suggest an administrator combine these two.

Rachael B

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
This builds awareness, muy bien! However, will the labels continue to issue any 5.1 HD-audio discs to challenge for the award?

Phil A

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Phil
I think the awareness is important and perhaps will lead to some more information available to the avg. public if done properly. Exposure as to what the new formats are about can't hurt.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Michael
Maybe I missed it but does this new catagory only recognize brand new albums in surround sound or will it also cover classic albums remixed into surround sound?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frugalfart