New game recomendation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Hey all, I have been out of the PC gaming world for a while as my computer has slowly slipped into obsolescence and my frustration with its poor performance led me to quit trying to play the newest games. Now I am upgrading my PC to an AMD XP 1600 with 1GB of RAM. So I'm thinking about getting a new game but I am so out of touch I dont know what I should get. So, I'm going to list off some of my all time favorite games, and maybe you guys can give me some modern suggestions.

Warcraft II - Loved it, I know WCIII is out, and this is one of the games I'm thinking about.

Lords of the Realm II - Loved it, and a new Lords game is also coming out, but isnt available yet.

Alpha Centauri - Liked it, but the advancement trees were so complicated that I always felt like I had to pause the game and refer to the 500 page manual to figure out what I needed to do.

I also like the Sim City games and The Sims but one thing I've noticed now is that besides the original The Sims, there is probably $400-$500 worth of expansion packs out there. That kind of bugs me.

I also really like a game called Daggerfall, but partly because the way the game control was setup. There are some first person games that I hate. I have never gotten into the Doom, Quake, etc. type games because I hate the way their setup. I'm always spinning around in circles in vain trying to find the guy whose beating the shit out of me. So I like some first person games, but they cant be completely based around melee battles. I also like the "Thief" games for the same reasons I liked Daggerfall. I think there is a Daggerfall sequel called Morrowind or something.

I also really like the Age of Empires games, so your probably getting a pretty good idea that I like strategy games.

I also like games where you’re the bad guy. I saw some mob game on TechTV the other day, but I missed the name of the game, and they were playing it on a game console so I don’t know if its available for PC or not. I also like the grand theft auto games, but I’m not sure if their available on PC.

Also, if anyone has read this far, I’m looking for a highly compatible (with many games that is) controller for my PC. Any suggestions?

2. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Oh, BTW, I also like the Diablo games and the Dungeon Keeper games, and had a copy of Black & White before I sold it becuase it ran too slow. I like it too.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'm a Medal of Honor freak. I also like UT and the like but MOH requires more precision and strategy. If you want to get into FPS'ers this would be a great game to start with.

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Medal of Honor and any of the games put out by Tom Clancy's development company like Ghost Recon.

5. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    I might check out MOH, but I read a review at PC Gamer of it and I'm concerned that its too Run-n-gun and not enough strategy. For FPS I really like the sub-genre of FP strategy such as theif or even Rainbow 6. I like some of the first person games where you can get killed with one hit. I just dont get the point of walking into a room with 40 monsters but knowing you can get hit 30 times before you die.

6. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

That mob game you saw on tv might be Mafia available for pc. I haven't played it myself, but heard a lot of good things about it in terms of immersibility in that era and graphics.

7. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Sounds right, it certainly was the italian "zoot suit", white hat and spats, 20s wood panel car drivin' type of game. I'll have to check it out.

8. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the middle of Mafia right now. Unbelievable. Immersive story, varied gameplay (everything from running simple errands to stealing a race car to shootouts with the cops), centered in the middle a large, living, breathing city. Don't pass this one up.

Daggerfall has a recently released sequel called Morrowind which I have heard raves about the size, complexity, and character interaction of the game.

Grand Theft Auto 3 has been out for PC for a while and is well worth it. Especially since you can get it used at half.com or Ebay if you want to go that route.

I wasn't a big FPS fan either, but after GTA3 I tried some out and have enjoyed them Currently in the middle of Return to Castle Wolfenstien.

I have heard good things about Warcraft III. I've got a copy of it but am not ready to take up a new game right now.

If you want to play games, make sure you get a good quality video card, doesn't need to be cutting edge, but something that can really showcase the games at their best. I recently built my first PC from scratch with a Athlon AMD 2000+ and a Radeon 9500 128MB card (which was about $100 from newegg.com) and am running Mafia at 1280 x 960 (with only 256MB of DDR ram) and it is a work of art.

9. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Yeah, that will be my one shortcoming. I can only afford to use the onboard video card, which is 64MB but obviously wont be up to par with a good dedicated AGP card. I'll just have to save up for a while and get a good card after I see what my needs will be.

Also, I just read a review of Morrowind, and I think this may be the game I buy. It looks sweet.

10. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

11. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Thanks guys. There's actually still a store around me that allows you to return opened software just because you dont like the game. Probably worth the premium they most likely charge.

12. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I'm also a fan of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but you're right about that and MOH. Both are more run and gun type FPS games. And they both follow the Quake formula of being able to "heal" yourself with health packs. Not very realistic. On the other hand, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and the other Red Storm games allow you to plan missions in advance in great detail. Also more realistic in that it's easier to die by a single shot to a vulnerable area.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm still working through never winter nights and diggin' it. it's a pretty exhaustive d&d style game, but the major difference is you only control one other character beside yourself. makes it easier if you're not going for the party mode campaign. it's not quite as hack 'n' slay as diablo though.
    i also dig deus ex (got it free with my audigy gamer pack). even though it's a fps, i wouldn't call it a shoot-fest. a lot of it relies on you being smart about your decisions and using your equipment to go stealthy if possible. i use my sniper rifle for everything i can...that way i stay well out of harms way.

14. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

15. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Yeah, the store around me that does it used to be an EB, but now its a different name. They carry a lot of other stuff that EB never used to loke D&D type card and figurine battle games. I'll have to find out what their exact policy is. Now that I think about it, when I heard the salesperson tell a customer that "if you dont like it you bring it back, no questions asked" they may have been talking about console games. I'll have to look into it.

16. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

one big vote for "No one Lives Forever 2"

Fantastic game that looks great, Not tons of strategy though.

Brent

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
    Fantastic graphics, full-on lightsaber badass action. It does not, repeat does NOT get any better than this [​IMG]
    Command & Conquer Renegade is a great game, especially for online play

18. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I disliked Warcraft 3, but then again I'm an Age of Empires fan. I loved Age of Empires 2...consider Age of Mythology, done by the same developers!
    IMHO, Warcraft 3 lost the strategy element. Every mission was way too linear for my tastes, leaving no room for creative strategy a la Total Annihilation or Age of Empires 2. But, it does have nice eye-candy and good if you're not into any serious gaming (ie. turn your brain off). It's like an Arnie movie...great popcorn flick! Check your brain at the door. [​IMG]
    I recommend Jedi Knight 2 as well, but the levels leading up to getting the lightsaber suck. Hang in there. [​IMG]