What's new

New G5 iMac (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Too right Patrick.

As it happens, I am in the market for a new computer. I am ordering one of these today—I just love the 20” monitor—2 pages, side-by-side (I love to cram as much stuff as possible onto the screen).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Probably just a rumor but I heard the early prototypes caught fire. We'll be getting a couple of these in at my work so I'll get to see how they work. Essentially a laptop on a stand (minus the built-in keyboard and mouse of course). Pretty neat.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
First thought: Blech. I prefer the G4 design. That silver stand doesn't look right. I hope I get used to it.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
The only thing that I don't like is that its not able to swivel side to side. The G4 iMac culd swivel around, up and down, and tilt.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
www.apple.com

Amazing looking machine. Amazing they fit that all into something that small. I am going to have to make a trip to my local apple store this weekend just to see this thing.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I would say amazing for size and functionality, but so-so for styling. I always look forward to Apple's sleek new designs, but I actually prefer the previous model to this one as far as aesthetics goes.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
This version is example good engineering, but the previous was was a example of good design. I already miss the neck!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
tony (in the other thread) wrote
I agree that the previous design was good and that the swivel functionality was good.

I look at the compact design, combined with wireless technology as really liberating for home use—as portable around the house as a laptop (still need the power, of course). My wife already envisions using this by the pool or on our front terrace.

I may, of course feel differently when it arrives and we begin actually using it.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Well this arrived today via FedEx. I’ll unpack and set it up this evening when I get home.

In the meantime, one of our cats is keeping it safe from intruders by sleeping on top of the shipping box.

I got the version with the 20” monitor, 250 GB hard drive wireless keyboard and mouse and airport extreme for wireless internet and printer connections.

And I have 2GB of Corsair memory to install.

Should be great fun setting this up.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a monster. What will you be using it for? 2GB of ram sounds serious.
wink.gif

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
quote:What will you be using it for? 2GB of ram sounds serious.

Nothing really that serious—otherwise I’d get a Power Mac.

But two things:

(1) I have always believed in getting as much memory as possible (although I’m not sure that I’d actually buy 8GB on a Power Mac), as you never know what the next application will demand or what demands on memory having multiple apps open will cause (my desktop is normally pretty cluttered).

(2) Although I’m not a film editor, I’m intrigued by Final Cut Express, which is extremely powerful. Film editing likes a lot of memory if you don’t want to wait around forever. Plus someday I might want to get the Production Suite—and for that you would want as much memory as possible.

Jason M

Agent
looks very nice! I just wish it could have a better gaming video card. I mean if dell can put a 9700 with 128mb in their laptop, apple should be able to.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
My university's main computer lab got a few of the 17" models up and running at the beginning of the semester, and I like them so much that I only use the PCs now if I really have to. The design has caught on with me, and now I really want to get a 20" model with all the fixins. How hard was it to install the RAM, Lew? I don't see where you open it up. Is it easy to damage the case trying to open it up?

SteveLa

Stunt Coordinator
It's pretty easy to install it. There's just three screws on the bottom of the unit that need to be removed. The owner's manual provides illustrated instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks