New FV Sony Wegas @ Crutchfield!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jorge M, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Jorge M

Jorge M Stunt Coordinator

Sony 32 FV300
    They also have them in 20" and 24", and have pages up (but no stock [​IMG]) for the 27" and 36".
    They must be really close to Sony, because they're the first to have any info on these TVs (beating even Sony's site)!
    Can't wait to see the FS...

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

exciting!

3. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

They've dropped the price on this line by almost $300. The old 36" was $1800, this is $1500, sweet!
    Now I've got to hurry up and wait for some online sites to get this in so I can get Sears to pricematch [​IMG]

4. Jorge M

Dave,

Although the price has indeed been cut, I don't think it's as much as $300. The MSRP on the old 36" was $1899, and I believe MSRP for the new one is around $1700, or $200 less. You can still get the old at Crutchfield for $1699, or the new for $1499 (again $200 less).

Bottom line, though, you're right: new model TV, new features, better looking chassis, for $200 less? Sweet as honey! Sign me up!

Does anyone know if Sears has them already?

5. Dave Schofield

Yep, you are right, I misquoted the 'old' price.

The Sears website does not list them as of today, though the rollout appears to be starting.

I am glad this info was posted. I was going to be buying a Wega (36FS13) in the next 2 weeks but now I think I'll wait and get the 36FV300 instead.

6. Jorge M

Keep in mind the new FV300 replaces the old FV27, and both have 2-tuner PIP and wireless headphones. If you don't want or need these features, you may want to wait (as I) for the new FS series coming out soon. However, if the price cut enables you to step up to the FV series, then enjoy!

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    This series is not the digital one right? Isn't that the HS and XBR only? Is it really worth that amount of money for a non digital TV? Sure, it does auto squeeze but I still think paying $1600 for a non digital TV is too much.

8. Jorge M

If by "digital" you mean HDTV or HDTV ready, then no, this TV isn't. Is it worth it? Well, some of us have seen HDTV, and are still not compelled to pay a premium for something that is not finalized and may not work as promised in the future (read: DVI, Firewire, etc.) Besides, all HDTV ready sets upsample any incoming signal to take advantage of their capacity for higher resolutions, but don't allow to turn this off and go back to plain old 480i. I've seen cable processed this way and I'd much rather have the scan lines than all the artifacting introduced by this processing.

"Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I think there ugly looking compared to the old models.[​IMG]

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Jorge M,

I see your point. What I guess I was saying was they don't have line doublers or accept a progressive scan signal either. Not just HDTV compatable.

I have also noticed this on many digital TV's (the pixel jaggies that is), and don't really like it either. I just assumed that a progressive or line-doubled picture would always be superior but I guess that's not the case with cable/satellite tv is it?

Now you got me thinking... maybe a set like this one would be better for me considering I do not care about HD yet. I do however watch more DVD than TV though so my decision will be a tough one.

11. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

Maybe both Jorge and Jeff (and me) would be best served at this time by a television that is not HDTV ready, but will support 480p. Are there any?

12. Jorge M

Jeff,
    My programming class professor used to say: "Garbage In, Garbage Out." Feed a low-resolution signal full of errors to a line doubler and all you'll have is twice the amount of errors. In this case, crap + processing = processed crap [​IMG].
    If you do a lot of DVD watching, though, then the decision is not so simple. If you've seen a DVD at 480p and think the difference is worth it, and don't care if you can't see full resolution HDTV in the future, then I think it makes sense to buy a HDTV set.
    Marshall,
    I believe such sets do exist. They're usually called EDTV (for "Enhanced Definition") or something like that. They make sense for the guy who wants 480p DVDs (and games [​IMG]), but isn't ready for HDTV. But then you have to ask yourself again, is it worth it?

13. AnthonyR

AnthonyR Agent

I was just getting ready to purchase the KV27FV17 but I'll wait for the KV27FV300. Other than the new look does anybody know the difference between the two? Thanks for any help!

14. Matt Rich

Matt Rich Auditioning

does this mean there may be similar price drops for the HS and XBR series, coming out soon?

matt

15. Grant B

Grant B Producer

If you are near a sonyoutlet store, you might try there. A friend of mine came back with a 36XBR450 for $1200 and I bought a 32XBR450 for $1049 earlier in the year. 32XBR450 makes my 32KV look out of focus

16. Dave Schofield

I love the prices at the outlet stores, but I can't help but think that each of those sets are returns from someone on this forum that has gone through 3 Wegas [​IMG]

17. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam

18. Grant B

Grant B Producer

jeff
    th Wega kv went to the bedroom. When I rebuilt that part of the house, I built a space in the wall to house the TV about 5 feet off the ground that works great. The Wega is so damn heavy, I had to rent a 600lb lift to get it in the space.
    It's not going anywhere for a long time [​IMG]
    ...I will keep you in find if ever I do.
    When I bought mine for $1049 CC had it on sale for $1999....it's worth driving to Tracy $950!
    Grant

19. Dave Schofield

I'm a bit worried about getting a 36" Wega myself. I am a big guy, and have a bunch of strong friends now, but will I be able to move this thing in 10 years? [​IMG]

20. Dave Schofield

Sorry for the double-jack...
    I contacted Shop Sunshine, a e-tailer that I've gone to for awhile, to see what they'd be selling the 36FV300 set for and they actually RAISED the price from what they were asking on the old 36FV27... I guess I'll look elswhere [​IMG]