1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New front speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChadS, Aug 27, 2001.

1. ChadS

ChadS Auditioning

I currently have Technics front speakers that I bought about 5 years ago with 140W capacity. I recently purchased a JVC 8010 that is great, output 120x2 and 100x5. I also bought a Technics Center/Rear package that sounds good, but the fronts just don't seem to be putting out the output they did on my old two-channel receiver. I have to turn up the new receiver to about 40 on TV and 60 on DVD (max. vol. is 99).I did read in one of the threads that this is sometimes normal. Do I need smaller speakers? Also, I don't not have a sub yet, will that make the difference? I am new to HT setups, so any advice would be great.

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

The fellas at hometheaterhifi.com would agree that you should get "effecient" speakers to run with common mass-market HT AVRs like yours. It sounds to me like your speakers have a "low sensitivity rating", but that doesn't mean you need to go out and buy new speakers. Just crank that thing. And yes, a subwoofer will add significant depth to your HT; get two if possible!
    Oh, and if it's any consolation, my main and rear speakers are not the most effecient (89dB/w/m), but I'm not afraid to crank my receiver to 60-66 (max=80) and leave it there to impress friends, and this is in a small room. Normal DVD viewing for me is about 53.
    ------------------
    Chuck
    Chuckster's HT Equipment List
    The Dorm Room Theater

3. ChadS

ChadS Auditioning

Then I take it that a higher dB sensitivity rating is better with speakers? Never something I really looked at. Thanks

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer