Real Name
Jon
So I am looking to make some changes with my current set up. Currently have:

Receiver - Sony STR-DE675 - Replacing with a Harmon Kardon AVR-240 or similar

Front - Polk R40's
Center - Polk CS130
Sub - Polk PSW250
Rear - Cheap Sony Surrounds

I am wondering if it would be better to replace the R40's for front speakers and move them to my rear surrounds - or if I would be better off just purchasing new surrounds and leaving the R40's in place for fronts? Space is not a issue if I would be better off moving the R40's to the rear.

After spending alot of time reading through the forum I realize there are a lot of different options out there. My main concern is making sure that the new speakers sound well with the Polk's I currently have as I will only be able to replace piece by piece in the future. My inclination is to go for another set up Polk's for the front. I would like to go for a set of RTi's(either the 8's or 10's), but that would blow my budget and I would not be able to upgrade my receiver. So I have been looking at the Monitor 50's, but it seems like those are very similar to the R40's and might not even be a upgrade.

The set up is used for 90% video(DVD/TV) and 10% music. Are there any other brands that might give me more bang for the buck than the Polk's and match well with the current CS130 - or should I stick to Polk's.

Any input would be great - thanks for the help!

buckethead

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Doh that is the one thing I forgot - sorry.

Looking at a total budet of around $700 at the high end for new speakers and receiver. If need be I can put it all towards speakers now and upgrade my receiver later on if that would be a better choice.

George_W_K

Screenwriter
Real Name
George
I'm not too familiar with how the Polks sound. The last time I listened to any was a few years ago. So, I would hate to give advice on particular models.

When I first signed up to this forum I had a set budget in mind to upgrade my main speakers. I was also pretty set on the brand I wanted. But, after some advice from the guys here, I went to as many shops and listened to as many of the speakers in my set price range as I could. The pair I eventually purchased sound way better to my ears than the original brand I was set to buy.

That is the first thing I would advise you to do. I would listen to as many speakers as you can, with your own listening material preferably, and then decide if what you find is worth the upgrade from what you have, or if you'd rather spend more on a new receiver. If you can, I'd take your mains with you and see if you can compare them to whatever you're listening too. I did that recently with my center channel and it made upgrading a lot easier.

I know that isn't as detailed advice as you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I like to keep all speakers as simular as possible so I say stick with Polk if you are keeping the center (that's a CSi30, right?). R40's would be a bit much as surrounds but you could pick up a pair of R50's at Fry's(.com) and move the 40's to the rear. The R50's were on sale this weekend for $120 a pair. Otherwise, replace the Sony's with Polk R15's for about $50 or look for some good vintage RTi's to match your existing center. As you said, new RTi's would break the bank and the M series wouldn't offer much of an upgrade for quite a bit more money. As for the avr, might I suggest Onkyo? I like H/K, own two myself. But for movies, a 603/702/703 on sale/closeout for $300-450 would offer few more features for a little less $$. And they are very user friendly.

buckethead

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Yea CSi30 - just glaced at the back model number and it looks like a 1 - been a few years since I bought it.

What I ended up doing was picking up a pair of R15's for the rear surrounds and a HK AVR-240 to replace my Sony .

Going to be moving within 2 years so I figured at that time I will end up replacing everything then so figured I would just do a little upgrade for now and save the rest of the budget to do it right in the future.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akhenax