New From Pioneer: VSX-49TXi Receiver/DV-47Ai DVD Audio-Video & SACD player...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Gatlin Jr, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

Pioneer has announced a DVD-Audio/Video/SACD player, the DV-47Ai, with a FireWire (i.link) output for connection to the companion VSX-49TXi receiver. The output allows multichannel digital audio to be passed from the player to the receiver over a single FireWire cable, which in turn enables the receiver to handle bass management for all three multichannel formats in the digital domain.

Both units are do in stores later this year.

Any comments from you Elite owners out there!!

2. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

I am currently happy with my VSX-49TX and the DV-47A.

Even though I have a DVD-A/SACD player, I hardly use it. Most of my favorite music is in CD. My 49TX and 47A is mostly used for movies.

3. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Well there has been talk of an upgrade for current 49TX owners. Personally I will pass on this one for the time being. I already have my DVD-A hooked up nicely. To me it is not worth it just to have a single wire vs 6 connecting my DVD player and receiver and not to mention I would have to purchase the Pioneer DVD player also. As far as sound quailty goes, mine sounds wonderful already. I would probably be hard pressed to notice a difference with the firewire hookup.

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Rajeek,do you use the external input with the "adjust" mode[with BM I presume]?
    Apperantly the SN ratio dropes considerably compared to the "direct" mode,which would make the firewire desirable,but if that makes much difference audibly,is anybodies guess I think.

5. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Since I just upgraded my speakers from Polk Audio Rt series to the new Lsi's I think that I'll save my marriage and delay any upgrades for a while! Hopefully I should get the 15's this week!

Actually I'm very pleased with the performance of my Elite VSX-37tx and Dv-47a. My next upgrade will probably be to a Carver 7.1 channel tube amp/receiver.

Of course if I hit the Powerball jackpot then I'll go nuts and upgrade everything!

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

It is my understanding that all TV's, DVD's, Sat com rcvrs, etc will have the new video digital inputs and hopefully outputs within a few months to two years. Dish will have them this fall and I suspect Direct will to.[​IMG]
    I wonder how the quality will compare to component hook ups???

7. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

8. Larry Becker

Larry Becker Agent

I'm not surprised at all that Pioneer is upgrading the flagship. It's been out since September of '01, so I'm glad they are showing a commitment to keeping up the line. When I bought mine (Feb, '02), I assumed that in about a year there would be a new model, I figured I was geeting a far better receiver than I deserved or could really appreciate. EVERY review I've read on the 49TX, as well as my own ears, confirms this.

I agree with Rajeek. I can't decide if I want to upgrade my unit or not, either... I have about 8 DVD-A discs and they sound wonderful right now. Still, the fact that Pioneer will be offering an upgrade shows their commitment to this level of equipment.

Lewis asked about the S/N in the adjusted mode... According to the Sound and Vision review, the s/n in direct vs. adjusted mode is -94.4 vs. -83.3. Even at -83.3, I can't hear a thing (noise-wise) when I use the direct OR adjusted mode, and I think -83.3 is below the noise threshhold of cd's themselves, isn't it? Not to mention the other equipment in the chain. Sooooo... lower is better, of course, but this seems ok. One of the main bench marks I use in judging the quality of the equipment is s/n. Pioneer's unit is great in this regard.

Larry