What's new

New Frank Zappa album (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Zappa-files,
Continuing the grand tradition of post-mortem Zappa releases, the Zappa family has released an archival treat. I believe it's only available via mail order: www.zappa.com.
They started a new label called "Vaulternative Records." Hopefully, this means that more releases like this will be coming out. I pre-ordered this one a long time ago when I heard about it, then kind of forgot about it. When I saw it in the mail, it was a very pleasant surprise.
This is a double live concert from January 20, 1976 in Australia. There appears to be some overdubbing because tape reels ran out and they used some bootlegs to fill in the gaps. While this sort of thing may sound terrible to some music lovers, we Zappa fans have come to appreciate this Franensteinian approach to making albums.
The set list:
Disc 1
Hordern Intro (Incan Art Vamp)
Stink-foot
The Poodle Lecture
Dirty Love
Filthy Habits
How Could I Be Such A Fool?
I Ain't Got No Heart
I'm Not Satisfied
Black Napkins
Advance Romance
The Illinois Enema Bandit
Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station
The Torture Never Stops
Disc Two
Canard Toujours
Kaiser Rolls
Find Her Finer
Carolina Hard-core Ecstacy
Lonely Little Girl
Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance
What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body?
Chunga's Revenge
Zoot Allures
Keep It Greasy
Dinah-Moe Humm
Camarillo Brillo
Muffin Man
Kaiser Rolls (Du Jour)
I have not listened to it yet. I'll post later with thoughts and comments.
The more people buy this, the more impetus they have of releasing more goodies.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Well, I had forgotten about this thread, and no one replied... threads can dissappear rather quickly around here.
I'm loving it, of course. Though I have pretty much everything Zappa, I almost always listen to the live stuff.
This is a relatively small band for Zappa, which results in a bigger role for the bass. The lack of a second guitar makes some of the riff-heavy stuff sound odd. There are better versions of Dirty Love and I Ain't Got No Heart.
The longer, instrumental-heavy tracks are the real gems here. Black Napkins is simply marvelous and worth the price of the album alone. Filthy Habits is given a nice extended treatment and may be my favorite version of this tune yet.
Zappa's playing is on.
I have never heard a version of Advance Romance I didn't love, and this one is no different. I don't know what it is about this song... but it's one of my favorites of all time.
Because of the smaller band, Roy Estrada takes a prominent role in the overall sound. Napoleon Murphy Brock does most of the tricky singing parts (ie, Illinois Enema Bandit).
The packaging is pretty neat, too.
So, yeah, definitely get this. :)
NP: Art Pepper, Intensity, DCC Gold CD

Users who are viewing this thread