What's new

New Fox condensed all-in-ones (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Saw something quite intriguing at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville today: apparently Fox is repackaging some of their classic (and current) bestsellers in the CBS condensed all-in-one style.

Here are two examples of that: one being MTM, the other being M*A*S*H. The M*A*S*H one should appeal to the fans of that hit 1972-83 CBS Korean War comedy, in that it no longer has the discs in that rough cardboard packaging; instead, it will most likely have the discs on mini-spindles inside. Granted, some might find this style just as aggravating as the former one, but at least you won't have to be fooling with having to take the discs in and out of the cardboard pockets as on the original.

BTW, mind the $74.96 price tag in the image on that MTM one; it's not going to cost that much (forget how much it's going for, though). Also, the M*A*S*H one is no longer "Martinis and Medicine"; it is simply "The Complete Collection."

foxcondensed1.jpg
foxcondensed2.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I wonder if they re-pressed that one double sided disc for Mary.

Just researched it, and it says "23-Disc Set Contains All 168 Episodes!" on the back. The original releases were apportioned with 4 discs for the first go (3 for the discs, 1 for assorted bonuses), and 3 each for the remaining six (that second go is the one that had the episodes on the top side of the third disc, and the bonuses on the bottom; I would imagine that it was redone based on that).

Here's the EBay entry showing it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Mary-T...338650?hash=item1a60de6a5a:g:53kAAOSw2yVbugnt

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That 23 discs count for the MTM set, would be consistent with the season two discs being all single-sided.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That 23 discs count for the MTM set, would be consistent with the season two discs being all single-sided.

Are you saying then that the lone double-sided disc that was in that second-season MTM release was reconfigured into two singles?

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The X-Files got repackaged this way, with Seasons 1-4 packaged together and sold at Walmart. Same packaging as the MASH and MTM sets.

So Fox is doing partial series sets too, just like CBS.

This would make sense if these giant multidisc cases are the same ones that CBS uses. IIRC, one of these giant cases can hold the maximum number of 25 discs.

IIRC, the first four seasons of Xfiles were 6-discs per season.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The X-Files got repackaged this way, with Seasons 1-4 packaged together and sold at Walmart. Same packaging as the MASH and MTM sets.

And from what I recall, these new Fox releases are of hard plastic, unlike the softer plastic of the CBS all-in-ones.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The original releases of S1-4 were 7 discs each (6 discs for episodes and 1 disc of extras) but they seem to have dropped the extras disc in the various re-releases over the years.

Yep.

When they went away from the thick foldout cases of the original release to the repackaged thinpak cases, they dropped the extras disc.

Same with Buffy.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Are you saying then that the lone double-sided disc that was in that second-season MTM release was reconfigured into two singles?

I bought the complete MTM tonight at my local Wal-Mart ($34.96), and yes, the dreaded double-sided disc from season two has been expanded to two single-sided dics.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Yep.

When they went away from the thick foldout cases of the original release to the repackaged thinpak cases, they dropped the extras disc.

Same with Buffy.

Buffy never had more than six discs.

But did it ever annoy me when I first saw the thin cases for only $15. So much space saving.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I bought the complete MTM tonight at my local Wal-Mart ($34.96), and yes, the dreaded double-sided disc from season two has been expanded to two single-sided dics.

Good to hear! How are these newer singles configured? My guess is that the last eight second-season episodes are on the third disc, and the bonuses from that second-season release are on the fourth.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Good to hear! How are these newer singles configured? My guess is that the last eight second-season episodes are on the third disc, and the bonuses from that second-season release are on the fourth.

Yep - your guess is exactly what they did.

Really glad to have this series. For some unknown reason I stopped buying after season two, so it is great to at last get the whole series, and so cheap.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yep - your guess is exactly what they did.

Really glad to have this series. For some unknown reason I stopped buying after season two, so it is great to at last get the whole series, and so cheap.

Being as you have purchased this release, may I see a picture of the reconfigured second-season discs in it? I've researched EBay on this new all-in-one MTM, and there is very limited information to be found (the entries that have actual photos only have them for the front and the back).

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Being as you have purchased this release, may I see a picture of the reconfigured second-season discs in it? I've researched EBay on this new all-in-one MTM, and there is very limited information to be found (the entries that have actual photos only have them for the front and the back).

Sorry, I'm a bit of a technological re-tread and wouldn't even know how to do that. The two discs are a different color than the original first two discs of season 2. They just say Disc 3 and Disc 4 on the label. I had to pop them in to verify what the content was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks