What's new

New Ford Mustang Commercial combines Bullitt footage (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I know this might not be appropriate for the TV section, maybe it belongs in the film section.

I happen to catch a new Ford Mustang commerical tonight during CSI; Miami promoting the new 2005 Ford Mustang. The only reason I bring it up is the way they use the image of Steve McQueen taken from scenes of the 1968 film, Bullitt. Two of my favorites, Mustang cars and the film Bullitt.

I thought they did a very decent job of extracting the moving images of McQueen from the film and insert them in modern footage of him getting in the car, and driving it. The quick editing and the use of the right shots worked out great. Though I understand why they used a Silver Mustang, I would have painted it Highland Green to match the 1968 Mustang from the film. Thought it was way better then that episode of CSI.

Perhaps purists would object, or some may find it distasteful to manipulate images of actors from classic films in a product commercial. I thought it was done well and wasn't disrespectful and likely something that won't stop. IIRC, Ford did a similar thing with the McQueen/Bullitt images for one of their European cars a few years ago. Ford likely paid dearly for the rights to use the footage for this new Mustang commercial.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was very well done. Reminds me of the John Wayne commericals a few years ago for a beer company.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I too wondered why the mustang was silver. Ford did have a special edition "Bullitt" Mustang a couple years ago that was Highland Green (sort of like British Racing Green, for those that don't know the color). Maybe that was a limited color that they don't use today.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link Linda. I saw that article while looking for any on-line videos of that commercial. That is a good article. If anyone finds the commercial on the web, I'd like to know the URL!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I saw a new Mustang the other day, at least I assumed it was brand new. Looked very classic "Bullet" Mustang in style, so the tie-in makes even more sense from that perspective, not to mention bringing back the coolest era of Mustangs IMO.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Seth, not to get into a discussion that would qualify for the After Hours Lounge section, the new 2005 Mustang is designed with the 1967-68 model year in mind. And the Mustang in Bullitt is a 1968 model year car. I agree that that era of the Mustang is the coolest, for me too, but I'm biased, I have a 1967 coupe in my garage!

It's pretty amazing the passion generated by a film tie-in to fans of the movie Bullitt and a car brand and the actor.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Of course the other movie tie-in the commercial uses is Field of Dreams and I thought it was remarkably effective in both cases. (The first time I saw it I was expecting some famous old stock-car driver to come out of the corn in a vintage Mustang and offer to race the farmer - when Steve stepped out instead I was floored. And couldn't stop smiling. It was a very cool idea, very well executed, and featuring a man who is the very definition of cool.)

Later,

Joe

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Yeah, that commercial was cool wasn't it. Rumour has it that Ford is going to introduce a "Legends" line of 2005 Mustangs sometime next year. Look for classics such as the Mach 1, Boss and others to emerge. As for me, come this February, my 2002 'Stang is gonna be retired to the corral in favor of a new 2005!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks