New Fly remake???

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Greg K, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Greg K

Greg K Second Unit

(Thanks to Jacob for the news)

Fox Searchlight To Remake The Fly Source: Variety Friday, September 5, 2003

Fox Searchlight has made a deal to remake The Fly, with feature newcomer Todd Lincoln writing the script and directing.

The studio began setting up meetings with Lincoln for The Fly as they watched their Danny Boyle-directed zombie film 28 Days Later become a summer sleeper hit.

Lincoln is an admirer of the 1958 original and David Cronenberg's 1986 redo and swears he won't fall into that fly-trap of regurgitating a well-worn plot. "I'm one of those comic book sci-fi fans who read the remake announcements and groan," he tells Variety. "This is certainly inspired by the original but it's a total re-imagining." What new things can we expect? "Why, in both films, did the fly never fly?"

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

WHY?!
    [​IMG]

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Well, if he had paid attention, he'd seen that the scientist was not fully transformed into a fly, thus it did not have the ability to fly.

But hey, if it's good, I'll see it. It does seem kind of pointless though.

4. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

$$$
    Looks like The Fly is trying to catch up with Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

5. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

They can't possibly top the David Cronenberg version in my eyes (still the best film of his career) so I don't see much point in this. If the only thing new he can bring to the table is a flying fly, he's not going to be wowing me.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

This is probably going to degenerate into a movie whose sole star will be a computer generated graphic of a man morphing into a fly. Sad, truly sad. Almost as bad as remaking "King Kong".........again. Apologies to the brilliant Peter Jackson of course.

8. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I was going to say the same thing as Jordan....

WHY?

Anyone Remember Fly 2 where they tried to duplicate the atmosphere and vision of Cronenbergs and failed miserably?

Why cant Hollywood leave things alone?

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

What the hell could they do that Cronenberg didn't do back in 86?

Oh yeah, digital digital digital. Yeah I'm sure that the inevitable new digital effects will top anything that Chris Wallas did back then without CGI....even sight unseen I must...[​IMG]

10. Greg K

Greg K Second Unit

This might be a case of draining the well bone dry.

Still, it does prove that the Fly series still lives on, and can be renewed each generation.

Still, I think the Cronenberg version (one of the BEST horror movies ever) explored the concept fully. There are so many layers, themes, etc. And the Oscar-winning FX have not dated.

Peter Staddon of Fox strongly indicated ("Good things come to those who wait. You should be happy sometime in 2004.") that a Fly 1986 SE DVD (my Holy Grail) was on its way for next year. Is *this* what he meant? Or will the DVD just be a promotional gag for the new version?

Ohhh, my.

11. Tyler Gagnon

Tyler Gagnon Stunt Coordinator

Why in the original film..Did he still think like the guy when he had a flies head, Then at the end they show the fly in the spiderweb he was the same man with a flies body.
    "Help me"

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

13. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

I've never seen The Fly(either version) so I'm just going to assume that it was a good film from all this feedback and say why do they bother re-making good films why not remake bad films that have a potential to be good [​IMG]

14. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    I would suggest renting both versions. Completely worthy of your time. I prefer the original over Cronenberg's because of the photography, score, acting and the overall scenery-chewing performance of Vincent Price, but the remake is still very, very good in its own right but be warned if you're not up for gross-out things.

15. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

A better idea would be to remake "The Curse of the Fly" which actually had very little to do with a fly and was instead focused on trancontinental matter transmission and the dangers that it presented. Brian Donlevy did a great job in the movie although it was nowhere near as good as the original "The Fly" movie. The "Return of the Fly" was also actually quite good and focused on the son of the original "fly" character just like in the remake.