What's new

New Fluance bookshelves (1 Viewer)

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator
Fluance has some new bookshelf speakers out, and they seem to be a much better match to the SX-HTB system then what they come with. They have the same color, and pedestal stands as the SX main. They also seem seem to have the same dome tweeter as the mains. I may pick up a pair, but that gets the whole system futher away from that miracle price point.

P.S. Anybody else think that the SX-htb center /surround tweeters are weak on output? They don't seem to be as bright as the soft domes on the mains. Thats a fact that may push me to go for those new speakers.

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
i just checked them out and they are pretty cool. i have the AV-BP2. i'm happy with them. this company puts out a good product for the price. i have AV-F5 and them can blast. they are not bad even when cranked up. i hope someone gets them and post a review on them. i just wished they had different finishes.
:emoji_thumbsup:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm replacing the center with the AVSC. This will still match the mains and has a better tweeter. It is not as bright as the original (I asked Fluance).

I also added the AVBP2 surrounds to my setup. I use them as the sides and moved the originals to the back. The sound is terrific.

BTW - The bookshelves are 2 driver and the mains in the SX set are 3 driver. Also, the bookshelf are smaller. The tweeter appears to be the same.

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator

OK, i'm confused. Are you saying the AVSC is not as bright as the orginal center? I think the center / surrounds sound midrangey, and lack the sparkle of the mains. Even if I put my ear next to the tweeters they barely sound as if they have any output, Compared to the mains that is. comments?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I agree with you on the assessment of the center. This is what prompted my questions to Fluance.

Don't get me wrong, the center that came with the SX set is very good. It provides a very crisp, clean sound. Dialog is very clear. It just seems to get 'lost' sometimes during a movie. I've considered turning it up a bit over the other speakers. I may experiment this weekend - or I may just order the AVSC to replace the center. .

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Looks like a SX-HTB w/ a single SV-6 as the front center and use the original center as the back center would make a great 6.1 setup.

A SX-HTB w/ SV-6s as the surrounds and the original surrounds in the back would also probably make a great 7.1 system, but wouldn't benefit from the upgraded/driver matched front center.

If only they sold the SX-HTB towers seperately you could put together a great system using the towers as mains and the new bookshelves everywhere else.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Stephen,

If I understand you correctly, you don't think that replacing the center with the AVSC would be beneficial? In my very limited knowledge, it seems to me that the AVSC would be better than a single SV-6.

Thanks,

Dave

HT on a budget. Gotta love it :)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Well, neither the original SX-HTB center or the AV-SC are going to be a dead-on timbre match to the SX-HTB towers since they both use different tweeters. The SV-6 uses the same tweeter, and it's probably a safe bet that since they share the exact same styling ques they're probably voiced the same (being from the same manufacture... walks like a duck, talks like a duck...). Also, a center speaker by design is a compromise... trying to make something that works best verticaly work well horizontaly to fit on top of a TV isn't an ideal arangement and requires design compromises. In a perfect world you would use the exact same speaker all the way around (an many people do). Based on both of these observations it seems a single SV-6 would make a better center speaker than either the original SX-HTB or the AVSC when paired with SX-HTB towers.

Any chance anyone could provide some actual pictures of the SX-HTB speakers, especially the towers? I'm interested in these for a bedroom system and would like to get a better idea of the looks and build than what i can based on the pictures from fluance.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
That would be great! I'd probably match these up with a refurb receiver of some sort and run the mains as large for use w/ my computer in my bedroom for music and movie duty.

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator
Some good suggestions. Personally, I would like to move the surrounds to the rear, use the new bookshelves as side surrounds then replace the original centers tweeter with a matching soft dome. Would this involve any crossover tweeking I wonder? Anyone ask fluance if replacement drivers are available for sale?

I would like to say that I'm still thrilled with this system, and still marvel at what I paid. BUT, I would have gladly paid 50 extra bucks for the upgraded surrounds, and a matching soft dome tweeter in the center. My current happiness would have been taken to the next level!

Oh, I'm using my sx-htb in the computer room as you want to, and let me tell ya, It makes for one jaw dropping computer speaker setup!!!!! Or at least it will when the Dayton arives tomorrow!

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of the Fluance bookshelves that I bought on a whim for a bedroom setup. Not bad for a hundred bucks. I have a pair of speakers that cost ten times the price and they certainly don't sound 10x better. I also have a pair that costs 25x what the Fluance books cost. Not 25x better sound though. You get my point. These are good for garage or extra room duty, but they are a little bright, so I would not want to really listen to them for extended periods of time. Probably one of the better values in audio that I know of, and great for folks that can't or don't want to spend more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks