New Flaming Lips this Tues. (7/16/02)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Kuester, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

"Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"

Just curious if there are any other lips fans here on the HTF. In my humble opinion, everything they have put out in the last 12 years has been pure gold. I for one can't wait.

By the way, you can listen to the entire album on the lips website.

"Her name is Yoshimi..."

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Yup, I caught half of it on XMU the other night. It's surprising to see that they are no more famous in OKC than other parts of the country. Oh Well, the Lips are really great though.

3. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

You know, my ex-roommate is now the Lips' tour bus driver. . .
    Seriously. [​IMG]
    -mwb-

4. Jeremy Little

"Zippity" Duda!![​IMG] In all honesty, that would make Justin a "roadie". Wouldn't it?:b

5. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Yes, I've had it on preorder as well. I'm not a huge Lips fan but I've been following them since Transmissions...
    I hope the new one will keep me entertained for a while.

6. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

Well, I picked the new album up today... and as high as my expectations were, it's even better. I can't imagine ever tiring of this band.

About the album... this is hard to put into words, but like all their others, it's REAL. To me, the Lips are one of the only bands that make music just to make music. They don't write songs just to make a million dollars, and they don't write songs just to sound weird. They just do their thing.

Do yourself a favor and give this album/band a try.

7. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I'm not very familiar with The Flaming Lips, but I have The Soft Bulletin, which I listened to obsessively. Went out and bought Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots today, and whaddya know? I've listened to it many times already. One of the better albums I've heard in awhile. Dig the cover art too. [​IMG]

8. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

OK...I'm convinced! Picking this one up pronto. Have "The Soft Bulletin", so I gotta get this one.

Just another great band that too few have even heard of.

9. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

I listened to it for the first time today and liked it immediately. I was actually kind of surprised because I have given up on most of my old favorite bands and new music in general. It made me want to listen to it again and then go back and revisit The Soft Bulletin as well.

When my dog heard Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots pt. 2 he was very curious as his gaze darted back and forth between the speakers. That screaching really caught his attention. Maybe he's a Lips fan too!

10. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

I liked "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell" and "Do You Realize?". This band's sound changes radically from album to album. I also liked Yoshimi Pt. 2. Not bad.

11. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I finally got around to listening to this album (I had a pile of about 50 CDs I bought overseas the past couple of months, had to wade through everything).

Holy crap! It's fantastic...what a WONDERFUL companion to The Soft Bulletin. They masterfully evolved on the stuff they learned making TSB without sounding repetitive. These guys are making some wonderful music and I hope they keep doing so...

12. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I really liked "The Soft Bulletin" but never listened anything else of theirs. TSB just really reminded me a lot of old Yes. Sounds like their new one follows the same vein. What's their older stuff like?

-Mike...

13. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I finally picked up "Yoshimi" and it is indeed a treat. I don't know if I like it as much as TSB, yet, but that album grew on me once at sank in.

Anyone care to recommend any of their older albums?

-Mike...

14. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I LOVED this band. But I have to be honest and say I despised Soft Bulletin.

I prefer the older stuff with the layers of guitars and tunes that you just couldnt resist singing along to. In a Priest Driven Ambulance,Hit To Death In The Future Head,Trans From Satelite Heart and Clouds Taste Metallic are just stellar.

If this sounds like Bulletin Ill pass. IMHO Soft Bulletin is NO WHERE NEAR being in the same level as their other stuff.

15. Jeremy Little

16. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I do have Oh My Gawd and Telepathic Surgery(Which is pretty weak) but Ive never heard Hear It Is.
    I just dont like the newer stuff. I always thought one of the bands strong points was the amazing(and it is amazing)guitar work. Wayne doesnt seem to want to play guitar anymore though[​IMG]
    Thanks for the info, Ill check it out.