What's new

"New" FF on Psx (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if this is old news or not, but I just read about Final Fantasy Origins here for Ps1. While I think that these would have gone MUCH better on the GBA, it might be interesting to play through the original again, and a good translation of ff2 would be nice to try. Now as long as they fix it so that you can buy more than one of something at a time...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They're on PSX because both games are on the disc and they have CG movies added. They're also updated from the NES games significantly.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Right, but you don't think they could have dropped the CG and gone with the Snes quality graphics on the GBA? I just remember that the other FF ports I played suffered from really long load and save times. Besides, with the amount of collecting I remember having to do in FF, it'd be nice to have as a pick-up game.

Either way though, nice to see that they're bringing it out.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Lag was a problem on the FF ports, except for the FFIV (FF2 US) port. It worked flawlessly. I am hoping to see this one that good, and not as bad as FFVI was...=0

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Square doesn't plan to do FF1 and 2 for the GBA (at least at this time) because they were already done for the Wonderswan Color. FF3 has been officially announced for the GBA and Square has stated their intention to do 4-6 as well.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Analog control :D
its sad i know but this is a big thing for me.... when i play the other PS1 Final fantasy games it really gets on my nerves that i cant use the analog stick to move around.... that means my thumb gets rubbed raw ont he direction pad.... this wasent a big deal when i was a kid cause i had so much time for gaming then i built up caluses.... but im old and soft and weak now and i ahve been spoiled by the analog sticks......

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Finally remembered about this game and tracked down a copy. Not sure if anyone else did the same, but it's definitely worth a look. It's a perfect blend of nostalgia and improved gameplay. They left what worked, pumped up the graphics and sound just enough, and fixed some of the text and gameplay glitches. All told, it looks like an excellent package-and I'm only an hour into FF1. Also, zero load time on the menus and before battles for those that are wondering.

Any word on FF3 though? It'd be nice to finally be able to complete the cycle-even if it does spread over a whole pile of systems. Come to think of it, what would the harm be in a mega-sized FF box set of FF 1-10? Basically, pick a system, and release all of the games together in one giant package. The load times on FF 6 could be fixed, the port of 3 could be added, and other features could be added as they see fit.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
FF3 may be the only one we never see :-/

The upgrade for FF1 and 2 were done for the wonderswan I believe, thus the new improved look.

Brian

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter

I haven't tried it yet(still working through #1), so I can't tell you how good the translation is, but it's been translated since '99. Do a search for it(or I could send it to you), pick up an emulator and try it out.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Yeah it was released on the emulator a while ago, the translation isn't bad... but it's not a legel copy and we're not suppoed to discuss those on HTF :)
It's never been translated by Square and no plans have ever been made to release it in the US.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I've got the Rom, but I'd rather not play through on my PC. Plus, the FF1 update is more than just a facelift-some notable changes:

-Attacks can now carry over (i.e.-characters won't attack nothing if the targeted enemy is killed).

-Being able to buy multiples of an item (yes, in the original it was one...at...a...time).

-Cleaner interface: messages such as number of hits etc now appear FF IV style (popping out of characters).

-Faster battles: I'm sure it just seems that way, but the battles seem to go much faster than before.

And did I mention no load time on the menus? Definitely a better job than FF4 and 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks