What's new

New Feet For Paradigm Studio Speakers (1 Viewer)

Michael_Hml

Stunt Coordinator
One of the first things I noticed about my Ref Studio 100s when I set them up is that being so tall but narrow, they're kind of tippy. I've got three cats, two of which are huge, and they've come close to knocking over my previous pair of speakers when jumping off of them (and those were much more stable than the Ref 100s).
I originally cut a piece of 1x4" wood, rounded the edges and bolted it to the botom of the speakers in the front mounting holes for the original feet they came with, but the end result was kind of lame. It didn't look right, plus I *like* the gold feet and wanted to use them somehow. It did help stability, so at least the concept worked. :)
So, I designed a new set of feet from scratch. I wanted something that blends in with the look of the speakers, makes them much more tip-resistant and still let me use the gold disc feet that came stock. I personally don't use the spikes in my current setup, but I also wanted the option to use them just in case.
After some discussion with someone I know who owns a machine shop to slighly refine things, choose the final material for construction (1/4" thick cold-rolled flat steel) and the finish (black powder-coat), off he went to build them... I got them back, and I'm totally stoked about how well they work and how much I like how they turned out.
The stability of the speakers has increased dramatically, and I think that I actually now prefer the overall appearance with the new feet than without.
So, basically, I'm posting this for two reasons... one; because I think it was a cool project that worked out well and wanted to share it with the forum, and two; to gauge interest in having a run of them made for sale to anyone interested. I'm also thinking that I'd have them pre-drilled to fit the Studio 60s, 80s, or 100s, so they'd be useful to a wider group. I have no idea yet what they'd cost, I'm waiting for some information back from the person who I'd have make them, but I'd like to get a list together so I can e-mail people when I have details.
Here are some links to pictures of the end result:
Closeup:
http://www.richat.com/~mhamel/spkrfeet/closeup.jpg
Bottom of the speaker with new feet attached:
http://www.richat.com/~mhamel/spkrfeet/bottom.jpg
Front view of speaker with feet attached:
http://www.richat.com/~mhamel/spkrfeet/front.jpg
Looking down the front of the speaker:
http://www.richat.com/~mhamel/spkrfeet/front2.jpg
I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks and if there's any interest in having a run of these made. If you'd like to be added to an e-mail list to be notified if they are going to be available to buy and what the details would be, please send e-mail to [email protected]
Thanks!
-Mike

Bob Cal

Stunt Coordinator
Mike
I thought they looked great. Great job on the design and the finished product. I have the Studio 60's but no cat or children problem. I can see where it would be of great benefit to anyone having fears of tip over etc.

One question did you notice any change in the sound.

Bob

Michael_Hml

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

Thank you. The person who actually built them for me did a top-notch job... I'm not sure what I was exactly expecting when they finished pieces came in, but I definitely wasn't expecting that they would turn out as nice as they did. I also didn't realize how heavy and solid an 18" bar of 1/4" steel actually is.

As for the sound - I haven't been able to do any real listening tests to see if there is any change in the sound, since I'm currently waiting for two replacement woofers for the speakers. Once I get those in, I'll try listening both ways and see if I notice anything.

Thanks again!

-Mike

Michael_Hml

Stunt Coordinator
Chas,

Hehehehe, no, or I'd be posting a "Cats for sale - cheap" ad over in the hardware for sale forum. ;-)

-Mike

Michael_Hml

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it definitely looks like I was way off in thinking there might be some interest in these. Oh well. To the three people that did reply - I don't think it will make financial sense to do a run of three sets, but I will inquire and get back to you all.

-Mike

DonJ

Second Unit
If Cats ever jumped on my speakers they would become dead cats real quick. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks