New Fan - Old Show (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Office (UK)
Freaks and Geeks

With F&G I was able to get a used copy of the yearbook, which supposedly was formerly owned by the actor who played the dentist. I have no validation of this, other than by the store owner, but it's a nice anecdote.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I dodged NYPD Blue for 12 years in primetime. Three weeks before the finale this year I got hooked on the reruns on Court TV and TNT. Damn I'm sorry I missed it all those years - what a great show. I started with seasons 9, 10, and 11, then it jumped back to season 5 and beyond on TNT and seasons 1 and 2 on Court TV. Though it's very annoying to try to watch it chopped into 7 or 8 pieces when there were originally only 4 pieces. The final retrospective is the only episode I ever saw in primetime.

Hey I remember that. Norman was played by David Garrison, the original (and much funnier) neighbor guy on Married With Children. The mom was played by Caren Kaye of My Tutor - one of the many hot sitcom moms of the mid-80's.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Rob,
do you remember that one episode of 'It's Your Move' where Matt (Bateman) and his best pal Ely managed to convince the whole school that a bunch of biology lab skeletons they were puppeting with wires at a concert was a real rock n' roll band called 'The Dreggs of Humanity'?

That's the one episode that sticks out in my mind the most, it was really funny. :laugh:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I've discovered a lot of older shows on DVD.

Most recently, Newsradio. What a terrific and funny show that is.

King of Queens, That 70s Show, What's Happening!!! are other shows I found through purchasing the DVDs, and I wouldn't be nearly the Friends fan I am without owning the DVD.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I can't believe that I found this thread! I thought it got cycled out of the server long ago but here it is. It's an historic thread for me because I met my best friend Wendy right here. :)

I wasn't looking for it, I was looking for something else and I was surprised to see it on the results list. :)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
While home one day from work sick, I was flipping through the channels and happend upon an episode of Felicity on the WE channel. It peaked my interest and I quicly netflixed the 1st season. I have not seen all of the seasons yet, due to my continuing discovery of new shows on dvd. I still don't know what the hell was in Megan's box under her bed!!!!!

As far as syndicated shows go, I've been watching reruns of... DARE I SAY IT..... Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place. Melrose is not so good as people say it was, but I'm hoping as it moves along it will get better. 90210 was a show I watched back in the day up until Brenda left, then I gave up on the series. The latter part of the series is not as good as the first half, but I guess teen angst and high school pressure can only go so far before they have to start going in a different direction. I don't know I guess there was a reason I stopped watching after they graduated and Brenda left.

I'm thinking it is time to netflix Felicity again and catch up so I can dish here with those of you who enjoy the series.

DOH! old thread ressurrected....

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'll second that. And as good as Shalhoub is, I have to say that Disher makes me laugh even more than Monk. It's a terrific show, and one which looks super on DVD. Great writing, interesting twists, and a show that IMO has mastered the art of misdirecting the viewer.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Homicide Life On The Street

Technically, I suppose I could say I "discovered" ST: DS9 on DVD as well, but it was never broadcast here at all, and being ST it's not as if I had no idea what it was going into it either.

I'll also echo the shout-out for Sports Night, which I also watched only on DVD.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
I started watching Homicide in reruns on Lifetime years ago, then I watched the rest on NBC. Also, I saw Roswell on Sci-Fi and loved it! I now have both shows on DVD. :) :) :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
There are a few shows that I had never seen during original run, but I caught on on DVD or afterwards:

Buffy: I admit, I enjoyed the movie "way back in the day" but I had never taken the time to watch the TV show. I watched all seven seasons last summer, wham-wham straight line. Four weeks. All eps. Basically, an ep or two a night, and a bunch on the weekends. By the time I was done with the first season, I was hooked. I loved the third season, exceptionally strong, I thought.. and I lived through the fourth.. which, when digested all at once wasn't -too- bad; I thought the fifth was the pinnacle of the show, sixth was goofy and ended in a way I didn't care for in regards of the story, the seventh I prefer to pretend doesn't exist.

Star Trek Enterprise. I watched most trek when it aired. But enterprise, after the first six episodes, I ditched and didn't come back. Seeing it on DVD after the fact I realize I was basically right.. I thought it was hilarious that it in the end had to steal ideas absolutely lift entire concepts from "Deep Space Nine" in such a way that rang hollow.. no where near the mystery element of DS9, in fact it hurts DS9's storyline at points. I still have to pretend this show doesn't exist, though the final season was a marked improvement. By leaps and bounds.

ReGenisis. Ah, Canadian TV. Caught this series based on a recommendation and enjoyed it. It's not "fantastic" but it's interesting. And, BTW, Ellen Page (Juno) is good in this as a younger kid ;)

Torchwood. Had never heard of this series until a few weeks ago. I'm through season 1 now, it's also interesting.. the acting is kind of lacking.. and production values are rather cheap, but eh, it's British TV. The storylines are fun and it at last doesn't take itself too seriously.

Based on a recommendation here, I picked up Veronica Mars A few months ago. Enjoyed the first season a lot; the second season was ... Ok, but wasn't as fun.. and the third season turned me off to it. But it was interesting; and I loved the soundtrack.

Angel I'll admit.. I thought Angel like Buffy peaked at a certain point.. and should have stopped. Season 4 for Angel was great.. Season 5 had fun moments, but also came across as too inside baseball, and lost too much of the forward momentum I thought the season had in early seasons.. it's like S5 was it's own different series, and if I take it seperate of the rest, it's interesting.. but when combined with the other backstory I couldn't make it work. Though as above, the "Smiletime" episode was damn cute.. but that was part of the problem with S5. (that and killing Fred)

Top Gear - Damn, I had never seen this until last year. Why can we not get this on US TV? My kids and I LOVE Top Gear. It's funny, it's witty, smart... my son eats it up, we could watch Top Gear marathons and laugh and roll with it. This is the kind of show that's right up their with "Mythbusters" as just outright good family fun show with SCIENCE (of a sort).

Charmed Watched the whole series. Wow, uh, well. Hmm. I have mixed feelings about Charmed. The first two seasons I thought were "eh". I thought it improved greatly after Doherty was gone, and then, somewhere around Season 5, it stopped paying attention to it's own rules of the game and just winged it.. and became goofy, annoying, and at times incredibly frustrating. You watch "Charmed" and then you watch something like "Buffy" and you realize how good, consistent writing and character growth matters. Because one show, even in it's worst moments, had strong character growth that was meaningful, and the other had the constant reset button.

The Outer Limits (Showtime) In the 80s, there was "The Twilight Zone" redone (Forest Whittacker) but it just didn't have the right feel, as though it was just remakes. The new Outer Limits were all original stories and some of them incredibly inventive original concepts. White racists go back to the civil war. A man rescues his sister from a concentration camp by leaping through time. A future traveller convinces a hate-mongering president to be that he needs to leap from a plane to save himself. Society redefines a man as a monster to keep government control. Televised executions. "The Outer Limits" took the concept and still made something of it. And some of the work on episodes was truly ahead of it's time.. I sometimes see movies that make me think of "The Outer Limits" .. "Children of Men" is a perfect example of something executed damn near perfectly on "The Outer Limits" etc. Like a great set of short stories ;)

Shows I caught after the fact that I know why they are gone, and pretty much good riddance: Tru Calling No show has had a drop off like that in Season 2.. went from interesting to god-awful in no time flat.. like introducing the "evil leaper" as the jump the shark moment.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
It's Your Move was a classic from 1984- only lasted half a season, & the Dregs story was a 2-parter.

There's probably no way to ever see it again unless you find someone who taped it back then & still has the tapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks