What's new

New Fan - Old Show (1 Viewer)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Thanks to shows being released on DVD and things going into syndication I find myself becoming a fan of shows that are no longer on the air. It's great I'm discovering these great shows but it's a bummer that they aren't talked about anymore. I have no one to dish about them. So I started this thread to maybe find fans of these shows and have someone to chat with about them.

The two big ones right now are "Felicity" and "Ed". Anyone out there a fan of these shows?

Also, tell us what shows you have become a fan of that are no longer on the air.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I've never watched "Felicity" or "Ed" myself.

One series I was very happy to catch up with on DVD post-cancellation was "Sports Night". Somehow, it never really entered my radar when it was on. Had to get the set after hearing the raves, though. It's intelligent, funny, and has such a great cast.

The first thing that always pops into my mind when thinking of this show was when Casey told that guy(forgot his name offhand):

"You're wearing my shirt."

So much revelation and significance in those little words. Excellent writing!

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I love ED i'm kinda sad I never watched it while it was on. Every Weeknight my Wife and I watch the days Ep. that's been tivo'd before we go to sleep. We always go to bed laughing or talking about something in the episode. I think my Wife has a crush on Dr. Mike Burton. Hmmn.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Glad you liked Felicity. I always enjoyed it when it was on. How far are you into it?
Shows I have started watching on DVD include:

Freaks and Geeks
Dave Chapelle Show
Entourage

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

Loving this show. Have episodes from Monday - today to watch. I watch so much stuff that sometimes I get back logged but I always catch up. I don't blame your wife, he's a cutie.

I think Ed and Molly should hook up!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
There are plenty of people like you discovering old shows everyday - I am one of them :). I start threads all the time about stuff I finally got around to seing and have never had any problems generating discussion.

Fans of those shows are always pleased when newbies join the fun, no matter how late. It's always fascinating to relive a beloved series through someone else's eyes (well, if they like it that is...).

Just revive an existing thread about the show or start a new one if you feel your perspective warrants it.

--
H

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Great thread idea, Wendy, and I see your new here, so welcome! :emoji_thumbsup:

My big TV show on dvd discovery was Smallville. Although the show is still on the air, I never watched it and didn't discover how great it really was until a friend of mine loaned me his season one dvd's.

I ate every one of them up in less than a week and now it's one of my favorite shows. I guess you could say i've generally become a Smallville freak! :)

Of course, I love all things Superman so I was bound to find and like the show eventually I suppose. I also have the hots for Kristin Kreuk who plays Lana so that doesn't exactly hurt the show for me, either. :b

I still don't watch the show on the WB, it's been strictly a dvd event for me so far and I want to continue that trend.

Wendy,
were you a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I highly recommend that show as well, it's great! :emoji_thumbsup:

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Wonderfalls is a great show that I finally watched on DVD, and so glad I did. I had watched the first show on TV, but somehow missed the others. My wife and I rented it from Netflix but found we loved it so much that I went out and bought it. It's truly a great show, and even though it was cancelled early it wraps up the first part of it's storyline within the 13 episodes on DVD nicely.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

I've toyed with idea of renting this show too because I'm originally from that area. I grew up in Buffalo, NY which is only 30 minutes from "The Falls" (as we natives call it)and have been there about 100x in my life. Ok, you convince me, I'm adding it to my list.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Wendy:

Ed is a well written and acted show. I thought it was cancelled way too soon.

I have found a lot of shows in syndication over the years that I never watched when they orginally aired and fallen in love with them. For example I never watch Seinfeld, All In The Family or Home Improvement when they originally aired. Now I am buying them on DVD to add to my collection.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
The show that I've really gotten into recently, it's still on the air, but it's first few seasons I didn't catch it, is Scrubs. It's been consistantly funny for four years now, and I just find out about... Typical.
Thankfully I found Arrested Development back before the second season.

A show that's not on that I've been watching, is The Muppet Show that and it's 90's counterpart Muppets Tonight. Some great stuff there, Waldorf and Statler are just as funny now as they were back in the day.

Wonderfalls was a great show, I didn't catch a lot of it, but I should go back and rent it. Tim Minear from Buffy and Angel was an Exec. Producer and writer on Wonderfalls.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Season 3 of Smallville is great IMO, although many fans say that it's the weakest of the series so far, but a lot of major events happen in that season.

Season 4 comes to dvd in September I believe, and from what my friend has told me it will be well worth the wait. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lois Lane makes her first appearance and Clark makes his first official flight! I call it official because I don't count the tornado rescue at the end of season one because it could have been the wind, and his flight with Kara in season 3 was mainly her and they weren't so much flying as levitating.

Even though Clark did have dreams that he was flying in season's one and two and he actually may have been, this will be his first actual on-screen flight and from what i've heard, he flies like Neo in The Matrix Reloaded, albeit briefly.

I can't wait to see that, to a Superman fan that moment carries the same weight as seeing Anakin turn to the dark side in EP III, to which i'm also a huge fan. :)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

I've read some Episode summaries for that season and it does sound good. I'm looking forward to it. I'm not as picky as some people when it comes to what I like and don't like about a show. I'm not really one to nitpick. As soon as I get thru "Angel" S3 and "Felicity" S2 then that's the next on my list to watch.

BTW, any rich guys (or gals) out there willing to sponser me so I can quit my job and sit home all day and watch TV? I'm cute and can cook too. :D

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Oh, it's pretty pathetic to the rest of you, that's for sure. I only own "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" Seasons 5-7 and "Friends" Seasons 1, 2 & 5. But I hope to own all of them eventually. I have a lot of movies though...does that help? :b

Parker: Regarding "Ed"...I love the way Ed is always trying to mack on Julie. Cracks me up.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Doesn't hurt. ;)

Don't feel bad, I only had seasons 1-3 of Buffy and then I started to fall too hopelessly behind so I got rid of them when I did my last inventory of my collection. I figured, assuming I bought them new, it would have cost me almost $200 to catch up on what I was missing.

It's a shame I don't still have them, Wendy, I could have sold them to you cheap then you would only be missing season 4. Anyway, i've been seeing them around used, so I may buy them again because I do miss them.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

That's just my luck. But thanks for thinking of me. After all this talk I went on Amazon.com and bought a very good, used copy for $15.99 of Season 1. Should be here next week. Yippee!

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Im glad Ed is in syndication now, it is starting to get noticed again.
I watched this show when it was on from the pilot and loved it. This show was, and still is a great show. I cant wait for it to finally hit DVD.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Another show that I didn't catch on TV from the beginning and didn't even discover on dvd was MONK.

I'm a huge fan of that show, but I didn't start watchng it until New Years day of 2004 when USA ran a whole day Monk marathon. I watched just one episode and was instantly hooked, I watched it that whole day which pretty much caught me up in one shot.

Man I love Monk! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks