What's new

New Evanescence Album in October (1 Viewer)

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
http://www.evanescence.com/

I know bashing Evanescence has become pretty routine, but I still love the debut album and think Amy Lee has an incredible voice. Thanks to really like that album, I was led to Lacuna Coil and Gretchen (and yes, I know Lacuna Coil was around before Evanescence).

I'm pretty excited about the new album, though I haven't heard anything from it yet. Anyone else looking forward to it? I'm wondering what the music will sound like with Ben Moody gone. Part of me would love an album just like the first, but I also really like it when artists grow and try new things.

Kyle McCabe

Stunt Coordinator
I think Evanescence is okay. They were definitely a hometown favorite around here for a while. My guess is that the new album, without Ben Moody, will be much more 'toned down'. I can see more pianos, less band, less distortion going on here. Just a guess, though.

By the way, if you like Evanescence, you should check out Rocky's previous band, Living Sacrifice. Best band ever!

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
the new single "call me when i'm sober" has been getting some airplay on rock radio around here (and on xm's Squizz) and the video is on the mtv2 rock countdown (sat at 7)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Yeah, I've been hearing it on Squizz. Not too impressed by it so far.

Jason

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Count me in on not impressed with "Call Me When You're Sober". I have two of their CDs, and like most of it. I tried Lacuna Coil after hearing them and thought they were OK too, but the latest Lacuna Coil all sounds the same.

Doug

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

The new Lacuna Coil, Karmacode, isn't holding up very well for me either. I agree with you that it all sounds the same.

Jason

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah, I'm not a Lacuna Coil fan. At best they seem okay, and they suck pretty hard live.

As for the new Evanescence...meh. I didn't like the single when I first heard it, but it's grown on me. Still not a great song, but better after a few listens.

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
The new album "The Open Door" as a whole left me unimpressed. Their last release, Fallen, was and still is one of my all-time favorite CDs, so I was disappointed greatly by the lack of power that their Fallen CD possessed. "Call Me When You're Sober" is probably the best track on the disc. Ouch.
There are so much better Gothic/Rock bands that I've discovered while waiting years for this release, so I'm moving out of the Evanescence camp. If you like them, try "Leaves' Eyes - Lovelorn", "Within Temptation - The Silent Force", and a new group "Delain - Lucidity". I made a compliation disc cutting out the songs with the male vocals (the weird growling Gothic thing, not my favorite) and just listening to the tracks with strictly female vocals. There's more to Gothic rock than Evanescence, but I truly hoped for more with this new CD. I hope someone likes it more than I did!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Really, I felt that Evanescence was a lesser version of bands I had been a fan of for years. While I think the first album is a fine one, I don't think they quite reach the level of Nightwish, After Forever and Within Temptation, all of which are better bands.

Never heard of Delain. Maybe I'll see if I can get a CD next week at ProgPower. Whohoo! I get to see Epica live!

Jason

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Delain is brand new and is comprised of member of other bands (Within Temptation, Epica, Nightwish) and includes Liv Kristine as well. It's really a great album with some very strong tracks.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Agree to disagree. I've seen them twice, once in a fairly small venue and once at Ozzfest. Both times the crowd just wasn't into it.

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa

Just got this yesterday, and I totally agree. The feel of the album is mellower as a whole. The focus seems to be showcasing Amy Lee's voice, so the songs are more laid back than in Fallen.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Another big fan of the first CD who is disappointed with the new record.

For a pop record, it has very few memorable choruses. It sounds like a record that would seem very interesting to those writing it, but not to the average listener.

I don't know if it's the "sophomore" jinx or the departure of Moody as a songwriting partner, but either way I know this one won't get more than another spin or two.

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
The only thing I can say is that this album has better low end than Fallen. Most of the tracks have some kick to them.
Too bad it just isn't enough... :frowning:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm loving "The Open Door". While not quite as good as "Fallen" it's got some great songs and comes close to being almost as good as. Funny thing is, Call me when I'm sober I think is the weakest song on the CD.

Amy has an excellent voice and that coupled with the piano and their orchestral style is just awesome. Their music is quite haunting, for a lack of better words.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That would be my assessment as well. Not as good as Fallen, but good enough that I still like the album as a whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks