1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New Errol Flynn Movie - US Opening January 25th

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark McSherry, Jan 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry Stunt Coordinator

Mark McSherry
  2. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Great headline, but poor follow up story :)

Brent Reid likes this.
  3. Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry
    Opening paragraphs from the The Canberra Times review (October 2018):

"In 1937, the Australian-born Hollywood star Errol Flynn wrote Beams End, a rollicking account of his youthful Coral Sea adventures with three friends aboard Sirocco, a 12-metre yacht that was never meant to sail beyond Sydney Harbour's headlands.

"The book's tone was an engaging blend of artful self-deprecation and gleeful exaggeration. Flynn was exulting in his growing reputation as a gentlemanly hell-raiser, while taking care to do it with charm.

"Describing Sirocco's 5000-kilometre voyage from Sydney to Papua New Guinea, he wrote: "The only truly remarkable thing about our seamanship was our appalling lack of it ... my calculations of our position would, as often as not, locate the ship anywhere from the South Pole to the middle of the Sahara Desert".

"Australian action director Russell Mulcahy (Resident Evil: Extinction) has produced a rough screen translation of these reminiscences but little of Flynn's insouciance has made the cut. The film plays like an old-fashioned Hollywood B-picture with a bland hero, lots of drinking and brawling and a lot of over-acting..."

4. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    When I saw the thread title I thought - Woo Hoo! WAC releasing another Flynn film! :rock:
    Then I read the actual thread title a little more closely. Oh well. :mellow:

Richard M S likes this.
  5. StarDestroyer52

StarDestroyer52 Stunt Coordinator

John
    Or that Criterion would be releasing Captain Blood

battlebeast and Arthur Powell like this.
  6. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Or a rescued lost film, The Other Side of the Flynn.

7. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    It should also be in the Movies section, shouldn't it?

8. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    Or that ANYONE would be releasing CAPTAIN BLOOD.

9. Brent Reid

Brent Reid Supporting Actor

Brent
    Hmm... Just lately, every other new thread title around here is getting more and more clickbaity. Maybe the site should be renamed the BuzzFeed Theater Forum? <_<

ShellOilJunior likes this.
  10. Message #10 of 14 Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry
    The IN LIKE FLYNN DVD arrived today. Plays on all of my US DVD players without a problem. It’s a bare-bones release but the movie displays with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 on a 16:9 Widescreen. Plus the soundtrack is in 5.1 English Dolby audio. The running time is 98m. There is no menu, extras, or subtitles.

The DVD appears to be legitimate and not a boot-leg. IN LIKE FLYNN’s official Australian DVD release date was Feb 6th.

I pulled out my book and there is this, in the first chapter of BEAM ENDS, that tips off the reader to what will follow. And must have served as inspiration to the film-makers of IN LIKE FYLNN. Errol writes-

“Usher’s is the famous Sydney hotel where foregather all the men from the South Sea Islands… You will hear of encounters with unknown tribes of savage head-hunters, of close shaves by ambush in the New Guinea jungles, of good gold prospects found in the mountains of Solomon Islands…You will hear how So and So’s canoe capsized in the vast crocodile-infested Sepik River, of which no man knows the source… Bend a leg on the bar foot-rail and you will hear many strange and wonderful stories. What is more, a lot of them are true. I know, because I have told some true ones myself.”

shot0002.

11. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

I take it Mark that it is the Aussie release on Umbrella. No BD unfortunately.

12. Message #12 of 14 Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry
    No BD. At least not yet. Though the DVD looks more than just good projected on a 120" screen. The soundtrack is active on the surrounds. The film score is rousing too, and available at Amazon.

The biggest fault with the disc is no subtitles; sometimes the dialog is hard to discern with the Australian accents, Especially when Charlie speaks. Fortunately there are subtitles available to download online.

I'm hope it will at least be available at some point as an HD stream. It just opened in the US the last week of January so that may be a few months away here. With all the location shooting, it deserves to be viewed at more than 480p.

13. Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry
  14. Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry
    iTunes has just listed IN LIKE FLYNN. Pre-order is $9.99 with release date of April 30th.