New encrypted CD hits the market

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chris Lockwood, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Hopefully this will flop. I don't think it meets the audio CD spec.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...today/11865096

I don't like music CDs that try to install software on my PC. Lots of us use our CD-ROM drives to listen to music, & anything that interferes with that gets my [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Yessir, this will surely work [​IMG] -- in pissing off the customers, maybe.

Hasn't anyone heard of the LINE IN function of their PC from whiuch you can record audio from something like, I don't know, maybe, a portable CD player? Apparently, the music studios don't know that this LINE IN capability has existed for over 10 years.

I'm wondering if the permanent marker routine will work with this. I'll bet it would.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

5. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    The US is the ONLY market so far where copy-protected CDs are not the norm yet, but the industry will try, and soon. And of course, these discs do NOT meet the CD audio specs, but the industry really doesn't care. Check out this site for the extent of the issue already: http://www.fatchucks.com/z3.cd.html

In an interview with a respected German computer magazine (c't), the recording association of Germany basically said that they don't care about the specs, they want to drive down copying and increase sales. (I know, I know what you all are going to say, but again, look at the link above, the problem is very real everywhere but here - yet.)

Needless to say I don't want copy-protected discs myself, especially now that I have an iPod.

-Christian

6. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

The record companies are full of shit. I can believe that file sharing impacts their business but they have to know that this will not make any dent in file sharing. It only takes one person to make the song available online and this is not a difficult protection to break. I really am starting to believe that cd copy protection is not about stopping file sharing but protecting future revenue by being able to sell the customer both the physical copy, cd, and the software file for their mp3 player.

7. MarkHastings

The best part of the article is that the artist who is using this encryption is such a nobody that you know he wanted in on this just to get popularity from the contorversy [​IMG] or just to get a high CD sales number from all the people who buy these CD's to 'test' the encryption.

8. Steve Crowley

Steve Crowley Stunt Coordinator

I am all for copy protecting CD's so the punks that distributes their copies across the Internet are finally defeated. I am sure that someone will decrypt the encoding as this is standard fare. There will always be someone who hacks his way just to get a freebie. Bring back LP's then it will take 28 minutes to copy than 30 seconds of MP3 crap. Has anyone ever listen to MP3 over a really good sound system? Sure it sounds OK over headphones and alright in a car. But seriously folks, there is nothing like an 1000sq ft. room with vinyl,SACD,DVD-A rather than inferior sounding material. I guess that some people want their cake and eat it too. That's why the music today is full of Brittany wannabes and artists that can't think of a new beat so they buy rights to use OTHER artist's lyrics and music to compile their version of a song. I see P Diddy(Is that his name now,what next week, Diddy P) going into the Zep vault, sorry Cadillac already did that, and making some whore of a song out of a masterpiece. Just ranting cause I write software and am mad as hell if someone ripped me off. I am sure that there are folks on this forum that disagree with my disclosure but how would you feel if someone stole your equipment and said you had no intellectual property to the items you own. My ass, I paid for it, you bugger. Oh well, glad I have a copyright. Doh!

9. John_Berger

10. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

11. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

12. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

Sigh...

Now the US has to put up with the same crap the rest of us have been annoyed by. I hope it will generate a few lawsuits and finally cause this crap to end (and compel the record companies to add value by giving us properly copy protected hi-res SACDs and DVD-As, rather than subtracting it by limiting the uses of an audio CD).

Mind you, the new burner I installed in my PC yesterday (after the CDS copy protection destroyed my DVD-ROM's ability to read CDs) cuts through the copy protection like a knife through butter. A phrase about mousetraps and mice springs to mind at this point and this will ultimately be the fate of the copy 'protection' of CDs...

Mr Crowley, you should note that the way most Audio CD copy 'protection' works is to (theoretically) prevent playback of the PCM area of the disc in PCs (by using corrupt TOCs and second sessions), in the belief that what can't be played back can't be copied. Sure, they put extremely poor quality MP3s on the disc so they can shout from the rooftops that the discs still play on PCs (Linux, and to a lesser extent Mac users need not apply), but the reality is that they are attempting to kill off my (and many others') preferred way of playing back CDs to prevent the small minority of times a CD is inserted for the purpose of copying.

To my mind, it's heavy-handed, it doesn't work and it punishes those of us who play CDs on their computer.

The day that Itunes comes to the PC will be a happy one...

13. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

After buying the new A Perfect Circle 'cd' I will never buy another copy protected 'cd' again.

14. MarkHastings

Of course these new CD's will stop song swapping...But the reason isn't because of the encryption, the reason is because people are going to be so upset and have so many problems with these discs that they'll stop buying music altogether.

Actually, I have the best way to stop song swapping...Why don't the recording businesses stop producing music altogether? This way they won't have anything to bitch about. You can't illegally copy anything if they don't produce it. It'll save the companies millions of dollars in encryption costs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I'm not sure why you think these new CDs will stop song swapping.

You'll be happy new know this CD was "released" by a MP3 group 11 days before it's official release date. Apparently that new anti-copy technology worked out real well.

16. Michael St. Clair

Yep, this will just drive away the paying customers. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...

These guys must want lower record sales.

17. John_Berger

18. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Despite my well voiced opinions on file sharing, I don't like copy protected discs either, which I discovered I had bought in the form of the new Jethro Tull remasters, which won't play on my G3.

19. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Darn! I was hoping that Michael would correct that line to read: These guys must want record lower sales. [​IMG]

Glenn

20. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

File sharing is a factor but not the only reason CD sales may be down. There are other reasons. One should be obvious to HTF members: DVD. DVD players cost less than $100 and a movie on DVD is sometimes cheaper than its own soundtrack on CD. People are spending their money on DVDs instead of CDs. Video games also take away from the CD budget. Another reason is that CDs remain ridiculously expensive after being on the market for 20 years. And the final reason is that these days, most new music sucks and is simply not worth spending $17 for the CD. I dare say that most new music is not even worth listening for free on the radio.