New Elite 530- Urgent need for Info

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAF, Dec 21, 2002.

1. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Hello fellow HT enthusiats,

Just wondering if anyone has a new Pioneer Elite 530 yet and what your impressions are? My wife has given me the go ahead to but a new TV and I have always had my eyes on the Elites. I will also be purchasing a progressive scan all-in-one DVD player but will probably be using digital cable for awhile longer (Cox Cable in Phoenix). I may consider the Diamond series from Mitsubishi so please feel free to offer me some advice ASAPas I hope to hit the store tomorrow. Thanks.

Mike

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I purchased an Elite 530 two weeks ago, but won't have it delivered until sometime next month. I spent about an hour with it at the store, and loved it. It has quite a few new features over last years Elites. I compared it to a Mits diamond also on the sales floor, a 55 inch I believe, and the elite looked much smoother and less grainy on non HD material. Of course both sets were right out of the box with no calibrations. The new menu system on the elite is great. It is very easy to use. It will also pass 480p sources natively and will upconvert 480i to either 480p or 1080i, whichever you prefer. The set is very solidly built and the urishi finish is fantastic. Has several inputs, inclduing two DVI. The best part is I got if for about $500 less than the Mits diamond and for $1,000 less than the regular price on last years Elite 520. Pioneer now has the owners manual for the 530 on line. YOu may also want to check the RPTV section on the AVS forum website as they have been several who have bought the new sets and posted reviews in depth. I doubt you could go wrong with either set, but the pioneer has the best line doublers, stretch modes, and comb filters, which should give it better performance on LD, VHS, TV sources. On DVD and HDTV they will likely be equal. From what I have seen, the Elite is much better out of the box. I would say to go with the Elite, since you have wanted one and won't be second guessing your choice down the road.

3. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Greg,
    Thanks so much for the info. I'm glad you were able to play with it at the store and I look forward to seeing one tomorrow. May I ask about what you paid for it, I don't know what last years models cost?? Did the store you bought from not have them in stock or were you just not ready to receive ownership yet?

Mike

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Mike,

I got mine from Ultimate Electronics at a sale price of $3,950. I believe the regular price is $4,500 or so. Their regular price on the Elite 520's was $4,999. I'm a consultant and will be on assignment for the next year, and I have to wait until they get me set up in a house or apartment before I can take delivery. The wait is killing me! I so want to get this thing and hook up my Panasonic RP91 and Elite 79 LD player. Ultimate was really cool. they let me bring in the LD player and hooked it up so I could test with it. It was really funny because few of them had ever seen a LD player, and mine is mint condition with the high gloss black finish. The LD player got a lot of attention.

The set has tons of adjustments you can make to it. The anti reflective protective screen seemed to work real well, because the room I played with it in was flooded with natural light. I really couldn't tell a lot of difference between the user selectable 480p and 1080i modes, but again the room was flooded with light, so viewing conditions were less than ideal. Let me know if you have any other questions. I also suggest you download the manual if you haven't already.

5. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Greg,
    Saw the add at Ultimate Electronics today and is was around 4500 before the sale so your price seems very good and that's what I will use in my negotiations. Thanks again and I hope the time passes quickly for youas you wait.

Mike

6. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Greg,
    Just returned a little while ago and am now the proud owner of a Pioneer Elite Pro530, though it will be a couple of weeks before it's actually delivered[​IMG] I guess it's the price you pay for buying a popular item at Christmas time. If I get mine before you I will make sure I review it for you so you know what to expect. Happy Holidays to all[​IMG]
    Mike

7. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Awesome Mike, congratulations! I'm sure you'll get yours before me. I may not be able to get mine until Jan. or Feb, depending on how long it takes for my employer to get me set up with a house or apartment. I'm sure we'll both be very pleased with these sets, It just seems as if the Elite's are in a class by themselves. I look forward to your review. Happy holidays and congrats!

8. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I've had my PRO-620HD for several months now. The picture quality out of the box was great. The picture quality after Avia calibration was even better. But, the picture quality after Gregg Loewen did an ISF calibration on it.....priceless!!

I hope you all enjoy the newer model Elites. Give them a good break in period and then have them professionally calibrated. If you think the PQ on these sets are good initially, wait until you see one that is properly calibrated. It is like looking through a window.

Check out my HT Pics and Happy Holidays!!