New editions of Chaplin films coming to DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I want to purchase the Chaplin box set which contains The Gold Rush, City Lights, Modern Times, and The Great Dictator...

On this board, there was some talk about something new with the Chaplin films.

I really don't want to spend 85 dollars on this set only to find out that there's new editions on the way.

2. Rain

Rain Producer

Run out and buy the box immediately.
    First of all, the existing transfers are remarkable. I can't believe how good they look.
    Secondly, if the movies are re-released in future, many of them could be the versions re-edited by Chaplin in later years, much like the existing version of The Gold Rush.
    Thirdly, the Image discs are now, as I understand it, out of print. I'm sure that you will be able to recover your money on them later should you ever decide to get rid of them, though I sincerely doubt you will.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Thank you!

I'm ordering the box set tonight then.

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Rain is correct, as usual. The Chaplin estate has expressed its intention to use the versions that Chaplin recut in his dotage henceforth as the official versions of these pictures. The Kid, Woman of Paris and King in New York will have the most violence done to them in this manner, but there will also be significant cuts from Modern Times, including the 2nd half of Chaplin's song (which eliminates the punch line!). Sadly, for copyright reasons only the 1942 recut of Gold Rush is available on the Image discs (I believe the crapola Madacy version has a bad print of the 1925 original).

So while there may be new editions coming (none such has been announced to my knowledge), they will almost certainly be inferior editions. My advice remains the same as it was when this came up a few months ago: buy the discs now, or weep later.

5. Rain

Rain Producer

In addition to what is in the box, I suggest you get The Circus and Monsieur Verdoux (an underrated little gem).

I haven't watched The Kid yet, but it is usually pretty highly acclaimed as well.