What's new

New edition of "last emperor" -DC (1 Viewer)

Runar_R

Second Unit
Checking through play.com's recent new releases, I come across a new edition of The Last Emperor, a double disc with the teatrical version AND the director's cut. The theatrical version contains an audio commentary, and it also has a documentary on Bertolucci.

This one totally snuck by me. I haven't seen any reviews of it either.....

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
It snuck by me, Too, Runar, but thanks to your post I added it to an order I placed with HMV UK yesterday. Thanks for the tip!

Tim RH

Second Unit
Please let us know how the transfer for the Director's Cut is! Is it anamorphic and is the quality good? Worth the price to buy the DVD?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The Directors Cut looks much better than the (reference awful) Artisan version. I still think it could have looked better and theres no 5.1 audio.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
I agree with Ken, the R2 director's cut is much superior to Artisan's effort, but there is still room for improvement. But at least now it's anamorphic and quite watchable, I was never able to watch any prior version of the director's cut, going back all the way to the Japanese director's cut on laserdisc.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The DC is on a DVD-9 with a bitrate that averages around 4.5 mbps, which isn't that great, really. The print is a bit murkier than the theatrical transfer, but is still a good transfer. But it could and should look better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks