What's new

New Dylan Doc - March 1, 2006 (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks for the information. I watched the first documentary in this series and it was decent but the lack of Dylan's music really hampered it. This period of Dylan is my favorite so I'll certainly rent this but hopefully Scorsese will do his own doc on this.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
There's an official bootleg series called "The Gospel Years" so I got excited for a minute. This looks like rubbish though. What's the point of concert "clips" sans any music. Seems like a cheap cash-in...

Rundown Studios Revealed
World Of John Hammond
Muscle Shoals Studio Visit
Revealing Insider Interviews

... no thanks.

The special features sound useless too. That stuff has all been covered in greater depth elsewhere.

I wish somebody would put out an authorized version of Renaldo and Clara or the Hard Rain shows!

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Maybe someone can clarify, does this mean no music sung by Dylan?

The 1966 World Tour (Home Movies) didn't have any Dylan-sung music either, but it used Highway 61 in the background.

At lower volume levels, I didn't even realize it was a coverband till the credits gag.

Got the 1966 Home Movies for a 'song' and thought it was a pretty good.

No Direction Home struck me as too sterile and gushing.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd rather a concert film from the rolling Thunder review. No actual concert footage with sound is like a half finished documentary to me.

Why is there not more Dylan concerts released? I'd love a DVD of him performinf with his current touring band, he's doing some great stuff. Seems like the only official concert is "Unplugged", which is only half good.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Highway61ent.com and the excellent Dylan fanbase Isis have put together quite a few documentaries like this. The are unauthorised by Dylan, Columbia, etc so music cannot be used in them; the cost of music rights would be beyond the scope of even these dedicated fans. They are most definitely not exploitative 'cash-ins'. They are put together with patience and labors of love, for sure - the tracking down of the ultra-rare KDKA TV interview testifies to this.

Dylan hated the Hard Rain film and live album, so it may never appear on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks