New DVR - No place for connection

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Arthur, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Arthur

Arthur Extra

My home theatre is all working fine until I purchase this Pioneer DVR 420.

Nec Plasma, Motorola Cable Box, Zenith 318, Marantz 7300 ose. They are all connected via component cable thru the receiver (only 3 component connection)and all using digital sound.

Now, where do I connect the DVR? Connection will be a S-vIDEO cable since all available component are all taken. Do I use VCR line or any other line in the receiver? I want to able to watch and record other channel and please provide in detail how to connect it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

not sure if you can do the watch one channel/record another with your setup.

other then that, you can simply connect your dvr to any of the s-video outputs on your other gear. i'm sure at least the cablebox and dvd player have one.

3. John S

John S Producer

Does the DVR have a basic cable/NTSC Boradcast tuner in it?

If it does, in addition to the svideo, you would need to split the cable before the cable box to watch a different program than you are recording. Or a 2nd cable box.

4. Arthur

Arthur Extra

It's NTSC broadcast tuner. We'll anyway, I connected a separate video from TV to the Receiver (S-video cable) then used the VCR connection from the receiver by the using the a/v of DVR and the receiver plus the toslink cable. Also, connected the RF cable from Motorola cable to DVR.

The video is working when I switch the receiver to VCR and the plasma to VIDEO 3, but I can't get NO audio for recording nor just watching video while the DVR is on.

I'am missing a connection somewhere? HELP!!

5. Mike Wilk

Mike Wilk Stunt Coordinator

You can get Y-jack splitter for the audio. Shouldn't be more than say $10US. I split mine so I don't need the receiver for ordinary playback.

YMMV

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

If you want, you can buy a switch for the 4th component line. (This is just for the video). You can use common composite (yellow/red/white) 3-way splitters that are in just about every store that carries TV sets.

You'd have to buy another component cable, though. As for the audio, some receivers have both types of digital audio sockets.

Glenn

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Where are the DVR's audio output jacks connected?

Also, if you are using the TV speakers, the Video 3 audio jacks in back of the TV must be fed in order to get sound when you select Video 3.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

8. Arthur

Arthur Extra

DVR Audio Out to IN of the Marantz receiver.
    DVR Audio IN to CABLE/SAT Out.
    Also, the digital (toslink) from DVR connected to Marantz receiver.

The plasma tv does not have speaker.

Keep in mind that when I play regular DVD on the DVR the audio works. Only when I want to record that I get no sound.