What's new

New DVDA's in Feb. (1 Viewer)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
From the Ice website
http://www.icemagazine.com/daily/190/index.asp

Hello! Some crucial release date information to share in today’s news update. Though our February issue has already been printed, today we received notice from Rhino on a number of important releases coming next month.

On February 11, the label has two DVDs planned for release: Devo’s The Complete Truth About De-Evolution and Simply Red’s Greatest Video Hits;
A flood of additional releases are primed for February 25, none of which appear in the February issue of ICE:

DVD Audio Cars The Cars

DVD Audio Chicago II and V

DVD Audio Emmylou Harris Producer’s Cut

DVD Audio Heart Live

DVD Audio Mötley Crüe Greatest Hits

The Cars In 5:1 :D :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Cars - SOLD
Chicago II - SOLD
Motley Crue - SOLD (That's gonna be awesome. Gonna have to really crank it up GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS hahaha)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

Be careful.

I believe that some of the titles you listed are DVD-Video, some are CD and some are DVD-Audio.....

These are the ones I think are DVD-VIdeo and CD:
Devo’s The Complete Truth About De-Evolution
Simply Red’s Greatest Video Hits
Randy Newman’s Good Old Boys

Chicago X and XI (expanded and remastered)

The Dead Kennedys Live

Grateful Dead American BeautyAlready on DVD-A, Anthem of the Sun, Aoxomoxoa, Live/Dead, The Grateful Dead and Workingman’s DeadAlready on DVD-A

Randy Newman Faust and Good Old Boys (single disc)

VA All Together Now

The titles explicitly listed as DVD-Audio, will be on DVD-Audio though ;)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
John, do you mean to say that the rest of the Grateful Dead box will be released on DVD-A (in addition to "Workingman's" and "Beauty")?

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Interested in Chicago II, but I was not happy with the quality of last year's remastered redbook version Rhino put out. However, this was the first and only version of II that I have ever owned, so I have no basis of comparison with any other version to ascertain the source of the questionable quality I perceive. If the problem is in the original masters, how much better can the DVD-A version get?

FWIW, I was very happy with the remastered Chicago I album also released last year (although I was never disappointed in the previous redbook version I own).

Doug

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Devo’s The Complete Truth About De-Evolution
This is an absolutely amazing LaserDisc release. The most comprehensive music video (not live though there is a small amount of live material) release I've ever experienced. Lots of special features, running commentary by Mothersbaugh and Casale, and (almost*) complete music video catalog from one of the most important innovators of the format.

Highly recommended to fans and anyone interested.

I can not believe that it is being released on DVD and I hope they don't skimp on the voluminous special features that were on the Voyager (former parent company of Criterion) LaserDisc.

* "Theme from Doctor Detroit" is not included, probably for rights reasons.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
John, where did you hear about the Dead albums? So far I can't find any store that has them listed (other than the two already released on DVD-A) nor is there info at the Dead's or Mickey Hart's sites.

Rich, what Box are you referring to? I've got their box set of the first 10 albums that were released a year or so ago. Are they finally releasing those remasters individually?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
John, where did you hear about the Dead albums? So far I can't find any store that has them listed (other than the two already released on DVD-A) nor is there info at the Dead's or Mickey Hart's sites
John specifically pointed out that only two of the Dead titles are DVD-A (American Beauty and Workingman's), and the rest listed are not DVD-A. They are just CD remasters if I am reading this all correctly.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
So, what's the deal with The Cars disc? Will it be a DVD-Audio release? Based on John's post, I want to be sure.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Chicago II has always sounded compressed on an version i've heard of it! Lotta ways like Santana I. However i'm primed to buy this one as it's at the higher resolution and very interested in how the 5.1 mix is!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Al, thanks. I am all over The Cars disc. I'll take a look at the Chicago and Motley Crue discs too.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Apparently Justin and I have some strange sympatico thing going on, because he got my meaning exactly where very few others did.

It is my understanding that only those titles listed as DVD-Audio in Steve's list will be DVD-Audio. All others will be either DVD-Video or Compact Disc.

IOW, no new Grateful Dead DVD-As that I'm aware of.

Regards,

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well I didn't see any list of Dead stuff in Steve's list or at that link. Is there any info on these remasters someplace?

I'm assuming the remasters are from the box set I mentioned. It should be noted that the CDs of American Beauty and Workingman Dead are very different from the DVD-Audio discs. Mickey Hart completely remixed the albums from the original tapes. He brought out certain instruments in some of the tracks that they had buried in the original mix. The new CDs will likely be the original mix, not Mickey Hart's.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

That's because I went back to the master list, and brought it over, which is probably adding substantially to the confusion.

My bad folks, my bad!

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks