I just went to Wal-Mart and they had several new multi season DVD sets:

Hawaii Five-O (classic) Seasons 1-4 $40
Mash Seasons 5-8 $24
Reba Seasons 5 and 6 $15
Sledge Hammer $20
Bones Seasons 1-4 $30
Bones Seasons 5-8 $40
Numb3rs Seasons 1-4 $40

That's from memory so I think there may have been a few others.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If I had to guess, the Fox ones are several dvd season sets wrapped together with masking tape and shrinkwrap ?

The CBS/Paramount sets are using those large 22-24 discs cases?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Good deal on Sledge hammer.

My guess is CBS/Paramount were lazy enough, that they just left in all the RLJ/Image Entertainment logos and didn't bother reauthoring any of the Sledgehammer discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
On the subject of Sledge Hammer, does anyone have the original Anchor Bay versions of the season sets? (IIRC, they were both 4 disc season sets).

My RLJ/Image copy of the Sledge Hammer complete series set was just a barebones 5-disc set.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
On the subject of Sledge Hammer, does anyone have the original Anchor Bay versions of the season sets? (IIRC, they were both 4 disc season sets).

My RLJ/Image copy of the Sledge Hammer complete series set was just a barebones 5-disc set.
I own the original AB sets. You are correct - each is a 4 disc set.

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Two of my local Walmarts also have the Vegas Complete Series for $34, and Streets of San Francisco (Seasons 1-3) for $39. No signs of the original Hawaii Five-O or Numbers or Joan of Arcadia. As a fan of 70s cop shows, I did pick up the Vegas set.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I own the original AB sets. You are correct - each is a 4 disc set.

Were the special features and other extra stuff worthwhile in the Anchor Bay versions?

I don't remember the RLJ/Image version having much of anything extra.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Were the special features and other extra stuff worthwhile in the Anchor Bay versions?

I don't remember the RLJ/Image version having much of anything extra.
I'd say yes, they are. I was going to type them up from the case backs but went looking just in case someone else had done this thus allowing me to "borrow" them and save time. Here are the extras as listed by Gord Lacey on tvshowsondvd.com (season 1 - season 2):

Season 1:
Commentary with Alan Spencer Alan Spencer comments on the show, and everything else. He takes shots at other shows, himself, and anything else that pops into his head. His commentary tracks are almost as entertaining as the episodes themselves.

Sledge Hammer - Go Ahead, Make Me Laugh! (31:43)
Alan Spencer and the cast talk about the show, from its first inception at HBO, getting picked up by ABC, the characters, and a ton of other stuff. There are also clips that include the laugh-track, and they sound horrible! Alan Spencer (creator), David Rasche (Sledge Hammer), Anne-Marie Martin (Dori Doreau) and Harrison Page (Captain Trunk) were interviewed for this featurette.

Pilot - Unaired Version (30:21)
The unaired, longer pilot, featuring a different theme and an introduction from Alan Spencer.

Electronic Press Kit (5:45)
Alan Spencer and David Rasche comment on the show in this 1986 press kit. Alan Spencer provides an introduction to the piece.

TV Spots (2:20)
5 TV spots for the show.

TV Bumper (0:08)
A bumper that would air before the TV commercials.

Alan Spencer's Message to Critics (1:54)
Alan Spencer pleas for viewers in this message sent to critics via audio tape (remember those?).

Still & Memorabilia Gallery (88 images)
88 images, including photos of the cast, memorabilia, advertisements, storyboards, and more.

Scripts
Put disc 4 in your DVD player and you'll find ABC and HBO scripts for the pilot (PDF format).

Booklet
The booklet comes in an internal affairs file folder and contains a nice history of the show, and Sledge's list of appointments. My only complain is that the packaging doesn't contain a flap to hold this, so it's loose.

Thank You (2 screens)
Thanks to people that made this release possible.
Season 2:
Commentary Tracks
More great commentary tracks from Alan Spencer. I love that he addressed reviewer comments from season 1... Spencer is joined by Anne-Marie Martin on "Icebreaker." "Wild About Hammer," "Last of the Red Hot Vampires," "Icebreaker" and "Here's To You, Mrs. Hammer."

Gun Crazy: Memorable Moments with the Cast of Sledge Hammer!(13:38)
David Rasche, Anne-Marie Martin and Harrison Page share some of their favorite Hammer episodes with us.

Our Favorite Director: A Tribute to Bill Bixby (5:52)
Alan Spencer and the cast pay tribute to Bill Bixby, the director of many Sledge Hammer! episodes.

Top 10 Questions about Sledge Hammer!
Alan Spencer answers the top 10 questions about the show.

Syndication Promo (5:56)
This video piece was used to sell the show into syndication.

Network Answering Machine Message (0:57)
This is pretty funny!

TV Spots (2:06)
Four different TV spots for the show. Premiere Spot (0:32), Regular Timeslot Spot (0:35), Triumphant Return Spot (0:29)
and the Christmas Spot (0:30).

Trivia Game
If you can answer these 20 questions correctly then you'll be rewarded.

Still & Memorabilia Gallery (46)
There are 46 photos and images.

Scripts
There are PDF scripts for "Wild About Hammer" and "Last of the Red Hot Vampires" on the DVD-ROM portion of disc 4.

I agree about the printed material in the mini file folders/bookets (there's also one with S2 although Gord doesn't mention it). It's really good but neither set has a folder/flap in which to put this item so it's just loose behind the cover.

I don't care for the packaging. It's a very sturdy cardboard "book" like affair with the disc pages being digipaks. The one for disc 4 is glued to the back board with the other 3 attached to that one with a long piece of tape (making hinges of sorts). Mine's not fallen apart so it's at least good glue/tape but it's open on 3 sides and those file/booklet things easily fall out.

Otherwise - it's a great release! I started to dump them for the Image one until I found out it was fewer discs and no bonus items. I'll live with the less-than-stellar "box" to keep that stuff.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mine had the Vegas set as well at The Streets of San Francisco 1 - 3 ($32.90 here in Macon).

I picked up Streets, don't remember much about that one. Seemed like a good deal and I like QM shows.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I did pick up the Vegas set.

I picked it up as well. It was a rare blind buy for me, especially for a tv show. I watched the first couple. I don't enjoy it as much as other shows from the era, but seem enjoyable enough.

I just went to Wal-Mart and they had several new multi season DVD sets:

Hawaii Five-O (classic) Seasons 1-4 $40
Mash Seasons 5-8 $24
Reba Seasons 5 and 6 $15
Sledge Hammer $20
Bones Seasons 1-4 $30
Bones Seasons 5-8 $40
Numb3rs Seasons 1-4 $40

That's from memory so I think there may have been a few others.

Do you recall if they had Mary Tyler Moore? I picked up the the season 1-4 bundle there a couple months ago. For $20, you can beat it. Would love to get the remaining sets like that if possible.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(As an aside).

If Fox were to re-release any of the Reba sets as single-sided discs, one hopes at minimum they would redo seasons 5 and 6 as single-sided discs sets. The original flipper discs from seasons 5 and 6 were annoying dvd14 type flippers, which had some playback problems.

IIRC, the flipper discs from seasons 1 to 4 of Reba were dvd10 type flippers. Dvd10 flippers were not as problematic as dvd14 and dvd18 type flippers, but still annoying.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Mine had the Vegas set as well at The Streets of San Francisco 1 - 3 ($32.90 here in Macon).

I picked up Streets, don't remember much about that one. Seemed like a good deal and I like QM shows.

I saw those, but didn't get either of them, for reasons unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks