New DVD-ROM "text commentary" for The Phantom Menace!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, May 23, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I got this news at CHUD.com (Check the link for the full article):
    (Forgive me if this has already been reported elsewhere. I thought the four people out there who liked TPM would find this interesting.) [​IMG]

2. Brian_Anderson

I "watched" it with the commentary... it was text based and unfortunatly (or at least as far as I could find) the only way to watch the movie and have the commentary was in the Interactual player's browser window. No full screen, with the little text at the bottom, but in a stupid browser window.

Some of the information was nice, and would be new to people who havn't scoured message boards in the months that followed the movies theatrical release.

Things like "The hyper drive fits into a slot on the floor" or "Did you notice the two droids fighting in the background" are the typical fair... Though again, some of what I learned was new. Really it's not great, but I whish it could have been done in a way I could have seen it full screen, instead of having to stay close to the monitor to read the cryptic colored messages.

3. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, I have been unable to watch this as the Interactual Player crashes everytime...right after the first two "warning...don't copy me" screen.

I'm running XP and have no trouble viewing dvd's with PowerDVD or the ATI DVD Player.

I get the typical "....the program must shut down" error message.

Anyone else have this problem?

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Does it work on a Mac?

- Steve

5. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

6. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

nope. no mac support. i'm very surprised (that is sarcastic).

i think the way they went about this was all wrong. if they want all this web based stuff, then go about it a different way. i would like to see all dvd-rom stuff go away. if you can't see it on your set top player, then don't bother. (just my opinion on it all)

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Interactual crashes here-what's up with that? Why can't I just get the content through the ATI player?

I'd have to disagree about the ROM features though. While I think that every effort should be made to make everything available on the set top, features like this new commentary wouldn't be possible without DVD Rom, since the track didn't exist. Rather than put out another version of the disc, it's being offered up for free. Great concept!

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

we have yet another new feature on the DVD
    from http://www.starwars.com/episode-i/ne...s20020923.html
    Episode I DVD: From Script to Screen
    September 23, 2002
    What does a Podrace look like on paper? How much changes when a movie is transformed from typed script to finished film? Find out with a new commentary feature available only on dvd.starwars.com.
    Thanks to software from InterActual, the power of DVD and the Internet are combined to provide viewers with a new text-based commentary for the Episode I DVD. If you have a PC DVD-ROM with web access, visit dvd.starwars.com and watch the movie while reading the original Episode I screenplay by George Lucas.
    what else are they going to put on the dvd !!!!

10. Jeff Jacobson

So, assuming Interactual Player actually worked on my computer, would I have to be connected to the internet every time I wanted to view these new text based tracks?

11. Terrell

Terrell Producer

12. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    And would it have to be a broadband connection or could a person use a 56k or worse dial-up?
    I don't support DVD-ROM content. For one, I don't have a DVD drive in my PC (so it is technically impossible). I'm of the opinion that anything which is included as DVD-ROM content should be readily avaible on the disc itself and be playable in a stand-alone DVD player. If the studio cannot fit it onto the disc, put it on another disc or make it avaible online to everyone, not just people who have DVD-ROMs and are fortunate enough to have broadband internet.

13. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

What if the producers of the movie are not available for a commentary when the DVD is being produced and this is the only way to add the content? I think it's cool. Thank god the interactual player works on my PC. Sorry to the Mac users...you have the coolest computers around but get screwed by the man once again.

14. Jeff Jacobson

I think it's great if they want to make more additional material available. But you shouldn't have to be connected to the internet EVERY time you want to watch it. You should only have to download it once, save it to your HD, and watch it as many times as you want.

And it also shouldn't need to use Interactual Player. It's not just Mac users who can't get this thing to work. I am running Windows XP, and Interactual Player crashes every time I try to run it.

If it's just an additional subtitle track, why not release a DVD Subber file, too?

15. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

ooh, thats a cool idea too. just a file that synchs up with the player.

16. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Cool news. I'll go check it out right now. I also have Windows XP, but Interactual's just fine.

17. BenjaminG

BenjaminG Stunt Coordinator

Post Deleted By Administrator - Do Not Repost Again Due to Copywritten Issues!

18. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Given how much macs are used in the CREATION of the films, you'd think that we'd actually get to use some of this DVD-ROM content and not get screwed over...