What's new

New DVD Recorders and DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, and DVD-R? (1 Viewer)

WaltL

Grip
As I haven't been able to find much information on this subject because Panasonic and Pioneer won't release their "affordable" line of DVD Recorders until the Fall, I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me.
1. What are the major differences between DVD-RW, DVD-R, and DVD-RAM as far as having these formats in a DVD Recorder?
2. Which format can we "live" without and what standard does the industry tend to support right now?
3. Some call DVD-RW a "renegade" format. Why?
Anyone with any answers or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Walt L.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Sorry Walt,
This doesn't answer your questions,,
but here's another example of of a DVD-Ram recorder.
DZMV100A_200,0.jpg

Hitachi DVD Ram Camcorder
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
Updated new digital pictures!

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Walt,
I'm doing this from memory so don't hold me to it. I believe DVD-RW is the most widely supported format for the non-PC based DVD recorders. DVD-RAM is supported by Panasonic and Toshiba only I believe and there is DVD+RW which is also only supported by a few manufacturers.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Panasonic has just introduced the EM-20. See active thread in this forum. It does both DVD-RAM and DVD-R. It does not appear to do DVD-RW. Pioneer has just introduced in Japan the DVR-7000. It does DVD-R and DVD-RW. I purchased one of these Pioneer units last week.
It is rumored that Sony will introduce a recorder this fall that will do it all. DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD-RAM. Not sure.
Street price in Tokyo is under $1000 for the new Panasonic with the new Pioneer at about $ 1400. See my post in the referenced thread.
A few months back there was a very good description of the formats (differences and advantages) in one of the popular AV magazines. I can't recall which one.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Well, I swear I saw an in depth article in either Popular Science or Popular Mechanics, but I couldn't find the issue it was in. Here's some links that may shed some light.
http://www.audiovision.com.au/dvdformats.html
or this info:
There are six recordable versions of DVD-ROM: DVD-R for General, DVD-R for Authoring, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD+R. All recordable drives can read DVD-ROM discs, but each uses a different type of disc for recording. DVD-R and DVD+R can record data once (sequentially only), while DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW can be rewritten thousands of times. DVD-R was first available in fall 1997. DVD-RAM followed in summer 1998. DVD-RW came out in Japan in December 1999, but won't be available elsewhere until mid or late 2001. DVD+RW will be available in late 2001 or early 2002. DVD+R will be available in mid 2002.
Recordable DVD was first available for use on computers only (see 1.14). Home DVD video recorders began to be released worldwide near the end of 2000. Note that DVD video recorders can't copy encrypted DVD movie discs.
DVD-RAM is more of a removable storage device for computers than a video recording format. The other two erasable format families (DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW) are essentially in competition with each other. The market will determine which of them succeeds, or if they end up coexisting or merging.
A big problem is that none of the writable formats are fully compatible with each other or even with existing drives and players. As time goes by they will become more compatible and more intermixed. For example, home video recorders from Pioneer combine DVD-RW and DVD-R, while DVD-R/RW drives from Pioneer can also write to CD-R and CD-RW discs. New DVD-RAM drives also write to DVD-R discs as well as CD-R/RW. Toshiba, Panasonic, and others released combination DVD-ROM/CD-RW drives near the end of 1999. There are lists at DVDMadeEasy, YesVideo.com HomeMovie.com and Apple that indicate player compatibility with DVD-R discs. (Note: test results vary depending on media quality, handling, writing conditions, player tolerances, and so on. The indications of compatibility in these lists are often anecdotal in nature and are only general guidelines.)
The DVD Forum has developed a DVD Multi logo program that guarantees compatibility with DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM. A player with the DVD Multi logo can read all three formats, and a DVD Multi recorder can record using all three formats.
----
The above was taken from: http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
I believe Patrick and Roger are on the right track as far as the manufactuers pushing a certain format, and sony using a multi format recorder.
Hope this helps more than it confuses.
Jon
[Edited last by Jon_B on August 07, 2001 at 03:47 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks