What's new

New DVD prices - US vs Cdn (1 Viewer)

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I wanted to buy Serenity today so I went to Future Shop and Best Buy and (since they're basically the same in Canada) the cost was $25.99 Cdn. I said no way! The other new DVD's cost about the same price too! Why are new DVD's so expensive now? Wondering what the average price for new DVD's in the US are? $15 US? Other than Amazon.com is there a good website in the states to buy new DVD's that are inexpensive? I figure with the exchange rate and the cost of shipping, it would still be less than buying in Canada! I don't want to wait 6 months or 1 or 2 years to buy it for less in a bargain bin!

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
It all depends on what you mean by "new release". Do you mean "new release" as came out this week? If so, then anywhere from $13-$25US is typical depending on where you shop.

Most recent releases (which could still be considered as a "new release") tend to average anywhere from $20-$30US (again, depending on where you shop).

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on how you look at it. I don't consider $25.99 expensive when you take into consideration WHAT they are supposed to be sold for. I hate the 15% tax I have to pay more :) (that's $3.90 on a $25.99 DVD)

Most "new release" DVDs sold in Canada have a MSRP of around $40 and most retailers will sell them for $25 (which is pretty much cost or below cost). So, that's a significant discount off MSRP. For example, retailers will significantly reduce their price on a BIG title (like Batman Begins, Star Wars: Episode III for example) - for one day to simply drive in traffic to their stores.

In the USA, DVDs are sold pretty much the same way - but with even deeper discounts. US MSRP is usually $29.99 so when Walmart and Target sells DVDs for $15 - that's 50% off (nothing beats de-valuing DVDs IMO). And since our dollar continues being at a 14-year high, the prices in the USA are more attractive. That's why my DVD buying lately has been with Amazon.com - great discounts, great exchange rate and no taxes...

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
not that it makes a big difference, but if you do decide to pick up Serenity, ask Future Shop to price match HMV's $24.99...yes, it's only a dollar, but it's still money :p

I must say that I've noticed a bigger difference in price now (in Canada at least) between regular "special" editions and the Limited editions (ie. Cinderella Man LE = $47.99 at Futureshop). A year ago, I rarely had to pay above $40 for anything unless it's a Criterion.

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
It does make the current $24.99 (at Costco) for the whole Firefly series look like a great bargain!

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I noticed the inflated prices as well in Canada.

I ordered the new Sin City Extended Cut DVD, Serenity and The Island from Amazon.com because it was cheaper to buy from there after shipping and the exchange rate.

Rolando

Screenwriter
anyone from Canada ordered from deep discount before? specificaly in Montreal or Quebec, have you had you pay duty or taxes upon receipt? I know many claim that is not the case with Amazon but DDD's prices are hard to resist...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I've ordered from DDD, and they were good. Then they changed their shipping policies/prices to Canada, so I stopped going there...bet they got a lot of complaints, may have changed it again. I'd check them out again, see how it is now. On an order over $30 you'll pay tax and the $5 customs handling charge, usually.

amazon.com allows you to skip the taxes, at least in Ontario. And they're great to deal with. But there's no telling whether they'll be cheaper overall. You *must* shop...do it online, online only takes a few minutes.

One thing I've noticed: it's *rarely* cheaper to buy a U.S. box set in the U.S. And I mean very rarely. Often it's ridiculously cheaper in Canada. Since DVD's came out I've only bought one box (TV or other) in the U.S., and it wasn't cheaper, just convenient. Criterions excepted, they're always cheaper in the U.S. if you don't pre-order. Look at a lot of the boxes: the MSRP is the same "number of dollars" in Canada and the U.S. And often, gift sets and box sets are "dumped" in Canada at 20-30% of list after they've been out for a while.

So, there is no automatic rule where to buy. But lately, for single disc new releases of newish titles, the U.S. seems to be a few bucks cheaper (US16-17 at amazon.com). For new releases of older titles, Canada is cheaper, or about the same. Generally. This will surely change.

When buying online regularly, especially from another country, it is very important to know how the retailer will treat you when something goes wrong. Because it will, eventually...damaged disc, loose/scratched discs, wrong disc, lost package, etc. The advantage of amazon is your "profile" is good (or bad!!) across all amazons, and that is definitely taken into consideration as to how you're treated. Just like in any business, a good desired customer is treated a little bit better. I don't mean to sound like a shill for amazon, but I got a little tired dealing with "problems" with discs from smaller dealers...these problems seem to be occurring more regularly as disc manufacture QC seems to be taking a decided dip. IMO it's worth an extra buck a disc as "insurance".

Edit: the "in another country aspect" is important because it can be very expensive to exchange a disc across borders, unless the dealer is set up for it, and knows how.

Sometimes a new box set is lots cheaper in the U.S. (complete Buffy set comes to mind), but I'm just talking about stuff that I buy, so everybody will have a different experience. You'll have to make up your own "rules" for what you buy, I don't look at everything...yours may be stuff that's a "premium" brand that never sells cheap (like Star Trek, most HBO).

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
I certainly have noticed a trend in the prices of recently released DVD's going up in the last few months. Used to be a new release would be on sale for between $15.99 and $19.99 CDN, now they are $24.99 CDN and up.

Maybe its just me, but I see a definite connection with the box office tanking this summer, and the sudden spike in DVD prices. Hollywood knows that DVD's sell, and will most likely continue to sell, if only for a few dollars more. I for one see through this sham, and have stopped buying new release DVDs as a result until the prices come back down.
Previously enjoyed and cheapie-bins all the way!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Have you also noticed how prices got all jacked up in the last week or so? No bargains this week, except surprisingly, at HMV. Future Shop and BB prices just suck, trying to extract the maximum dime this week. Been a long time since I've bothered going to those stores for DVDs. Somebody else is always noticeably cheaper, even a B&M I mean.

This should really be in Coupons and Bargains. A little over a week ago, lots of box sets were cheap at Wal-Mart. Like Alien Quadrilogy for $40, 24 seasons for $43, Harry Potter 1-3 for $30, complete Arrested Development (so far) for $50. Maybe still are cheap there, didn't check last time, too busy. I don't pay good attention to stuff I have (or don't want), the prices can be depressing when I vaguely remember what I paid...

Edit: Check prices next Monday...lots of price drops. And they're calling me a liar, even on Star Trek sets and some HBO stuff... Not the lower prices before Christmas like the last few years, a return to the old Boxing Day/week style of lower prices I guess, least for this year.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Yeah, I figure I'll wait till next week or the new year to see if prices go back down to "normal". I think they may just be taking advantage of the holidays. If not, then I'll be happy to give my money to the U.S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks