New DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Beck, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Andrew Beck

Andrew Beck Stunt Coordinator

First a little background. I currently have a Panasonic DVD-A110. Although it's not a great player by any means it has given me nearly 5 years of faithful service. It seems to be on it's last legs so I want to replace it (possibly moving it to a bedroom where it won't get used quite so much to prolong it's life).
    I was hoping that it would hold out until a truly universal player appeared (not the APEX), but as I don't see one on the horizon in the next few months in my price range (under $500) I need to get something soon.
    Since I don't have HDTV progressive scan is not a must. What I'm looking for is something that will play CD-R, CD-RW, and maybe MP3 (not a must). something that has good interlaced playback. something that has a coax output. Something that has good redbook playback. And finally and most importantly something that has either SACD or DVD-A support.
    there aren't a whole lot of titles on either DVD-A or SACD i'd currently buy, but if all things were equal I'd choose SACD because it has a few more, and looks to be getting more popular music than CD (if radiohead or underworld gets re-released on either anytime soon that's the format i need).
    I'd like to keep it under $300 because I'll upgrade to something nicer (progressive scan, and the winner of the format war or a combo player) in the near future.
    The only two players I've found that really seem to fit this bill are the JVC XV-SA70BK and the Sony DVP-NS500V. I ruled out the Panasonic DVD-RA60K because of no coax out.
    The sony would seem to have the edge in interlaced playback and cd playback and is SACD which is my top choice. However the JVC does have progressive output which is supposed to be quite good and has MP3 support (how does that sound through a stereo anyway? a pair of computer speakers and a soundcard is one thing, $4000 worth of electronics and speakers is another). The Sony seems to give me more of what I'd like now, however if DVD-A is the winner (and i believe it will either win or they will coexist) I wouldn't need to upgrade for quite sometime.
    Help Please [​IMG]
    Andrew

2. Andrew Beck

3. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Andrew,

Im in the same boat. Looking for a new DVD player and CD player a am thinking about going with one unit for both jobs. CD-R playback is a must.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Denon 2800. Iwas looking at it a Tweeter and it looks to be a solid player. The build quality is great. Anyone here have any thoughts on the CD playback of the 2800?

Thanks

Earle

4. Andrew Beck

Well, the Denon 2800 is more expensive than I want to spend, and doesn't really have the feature set i'm looking for.

5. Andrew Beck

This isn't getting quite the response i was hoping for... is it time to give up?

6. Andrew Beck

Well, after looking around, i see that quite a few people have stated that the DVD playback of the JVC XV-SA70BK isn't so hot. That leaves me with the Sony DVP-NS500V. Is there anything else out there that compares with it in this price range????

7. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Another player to consider is the Toshiba 4700. It is progressive scan with DVD-Audio, and will play CD-r's. This player also has coax digital out. I have been considering this along with the Sony 500 with SACD.

I am concerned that SACD will become the new Beta, since Sony is the only brand of DVD players with SACD and all other brands are using DVD Auido. I might just wait a while and see if one format comes out on top of the other.

8. Andrew Beck

Marty,

My original plan was to either wait until one format looked like it was going to win for sure or to purchase a quality universal player. But since my player is on it's last legs, I can't wait any longer and need to get something now. Hence, the lower than normal budget. I guess I just want to pick one of the formats now (dvd-audio or SACD) and hope for the best. I look at it like this i have a 2/3 a chance of being right. Either one will win or the other. Or they'll both survive.

Andrew

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

If I were to pick one right now, I would choose the Sony 500. I have been pleased with the quality of the older Sony I now have and SACD format does have a larger number of CD's available at this time.

10. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    How about the DVP-NS650v?

SACD (stereo & multichannel)

5 disc changer

Component video outputs

plays cd, cdr, cd-rw, and I think mp3

DVD

Best Buy sells for $399

Eric.

11. Andrew Beck

Eric,

The DVP-NS500V is the same player as the 650V except for the fact that the 650 is a changer. I don't really need a changer, I never watch more than one movie in a row, and I rarely listen to more than one cd. So If the sony is the choice I make it makes more sense to me to go with the single disc player.

12. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator