What's new

New DVD player? (1 Viewer)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I currently own a Sony 715P DVD-player. I got it at The Wiz when they were closing down about 6 months ago or so. I paid about $150 for it. What is the difference between this and the $400-500 players that I see on the market. Do they do something different or better than a cheaper one?

Mine comes with progessive scan, DTS and DD decoding as well so I don't understand what the advantage would be if I paid an extra $300 for a player.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You most likely won't see any real differences, given the quality of the 715. The more expensive players have better build quality (sort of) and more capability (sometimes). Are you interested in the newer high-res audio formats such as SACD and DVD-A?

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Not particularly interesting in the audio features. Does the 715 give good quality I notice Sony has stopped selling that particularly DVD player. I thought perhaps it was a bad one or I might get a better picture of a bett model or something.

So if I spend more money on a DVD-player it really won't be worth it your saying? I like the Sony and all but i'm wondering if there is a better out there for an upgrade... money to burn kind of thing.

I'm seeing what I will get the most from a $400 upgrade and going for it such as speakers/dvd-player/new audio rack... all the around stuff.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chris, the large Japanese manufacturers change their line-ups with each model year. The 715 is now known as the 755 (I think).

The top-of-the-line units are usually the best-built of the litter, weighing significantly more because of the more rugged materials from which they're made.

One of the beauties about DVD players from the major manufacturers as whole, however, is how remarkably close they all are in terms of video quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks