What's new

New DVD player under $250? (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hello all,

My Samsung P-421 is getting picky lately; it skips/freezes up on certain DVDs that play fine on my PC's DVD-rom.

It's had this problem since new, (2+ years ago) but has gotten worse lately.

Thinking of buying a new DVD player. Suggestions for under $250 (real price, not MSRP...an MSRP of $500 you can find for $250 on the Web :))

Right now, I'm only using the Component Outs. My receiver doesn't support DVI/HDMI (the PJ does, but I like switching everything thru the receiver) so that's not a real important feature.

Has to be able to play DVD-/+R, CDR/RW as well as MP3, etc.
Thanks.

Jeff*K

Agent
Thinking about buying a new DVD player aswell. I'm taking a good look at the Toshiba SD-5980, heard nothing but good stuff about it.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hey, how'd my post get all those useless hotlink thingees in it? :thumbsdown: Booooooo on this blasted forum software!

Anyway, I was just out browsing and saw that Toshiba 5980. IIRC, it was $140 or so...I'm pretty sure that was the price. I'll check out some reviews. Thanks.

As for the Regionless thing...all my movies are purchased here in the states...why would I need regionless?

Marc Doggett

Agent
Michael,

Well, since you are getting a new DVD player, why not also use the DVI input on your PJ? That way, you could pick up an Oppo 971H player for $200. It also plays everything, except SACD.

Otherwise, you best choice might be a refurbed/used Denon 1600 for under $200 since you can't upconvert via component anyway and the Denon 1600 has about the best 480p PQ via component.

What ever you get, let us know how it works out for you.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Oppo? Is that a brand? I think they were talking about it in the InFocus 4805 (what I have) thread over in AVS.

I always wondered WTH "OPPO" was. :b

How come I've never heard of it if it's so great? (Not that I'm real hip on the $$$$ brands) but I know about Anthem, Mcintosh, Rotel, etc...never heard of Oppo.

Is DVI REALLY all that much better than component? I'd have to buy a 50-foot DVI cable...that's how far my AV rack is from the PJ. The 50-foot component set from BlueJeans was $120! I hear my wallet crying...

Is DVI REALLY that much better? Thanks, Marc.

Marc Doggett

Agent
Michael,
It is my pleasure to help, when I can. :)

Whether or not an upconverted DVI/HDMI video image looks better than a 480p or upconverted via component(Zenith DVB318) depends on alot of different factors, including, but not limited to: your display(type and quality), whether it has been ISF'd, your screen size, your viewing environment, the quality of the specific DVD encoding, etc...

In my specific experience, even though I have to use a converter between my HDTV and my upconverting or SD, DVD player, I prefer the DVI upconverted image to that of either my Zenith 318 or my Denon 1600... both of which have pretty decent PQ, IMO.

YMMV.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Don't get the Oppo unless you'll be using the DVI output. The components output 480i only, and will not pass blacker-than-black.

There are still some issues with the Oppo firmware (cannot completely defeat sharpness, ringing/shimmering), but it is arguably the best PAL/NTSC all-region upscaling to 720p/1080i via DVI under-$200 player on the market.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks much, Marc and Rich. I will look deeper into the situation.

I calibrated with the Avia DVD, but I have a homemade screen (Blackout cloth). The screen came out pretty darn good IMO, but it can't compare to a real screen.

Pic of screen

It's 88" diag.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Seth_L,

Why? Signal degradation? Aside from PC to desktop monitor, I've never used a DVI output before.

Is the signal from a DVI out from a DVD player a lot weaker than a Component out?

Noob question here so feel free to smite me down with your superior knowledge:

If he's using the SP4805, which has the Faroujida (whatever) de-interlacing chip in it, why should he care much about how well the DVD player does 480p? Shouldn't he focus on a player that has a decent 480i output and let the PJ do the deinterlacing? Refer to the following thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...highlight=4805

I'm also using a 4805 and in the market for a DVD player so trying to learn about all of this.

Greg

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the same boat. Just bought a 4805 and trying to determine the best DVD player to buy for it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The consensus is that unless you have a top tier Denon with Faroudja, you're better off sending a 480i signal to the 4805. On the Secrets Web site a review of the 4805 said it's comparable to the progressive output of a Denon 1600.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks