New DVD player setup question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Ozcomert, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Stephen Ozcomert

Stephen Ozcomert Auditioning

My old DVD player (a Mitsubishi 6000) died and I have replaced it with a Pioneer Elite DV-37. This raises some questions since my TV (Mits 65905) was set up by an ISF technician. Now the new DVD has all sorts of settings that the old one did not. I am particularly puzzled over black levels. I set the initial black level to "0" instead of "7.5" factory preset and then lowered the other black setting also. I like the performance of the Pioneer better than the Mits, but I am disturbed that I now have two settings for this stuff--the TV and the DVD and am not confident I have the settings correct. I have not touched the chroma settings or the white level or any of the other factory presets except, of course, setting to progressive scan and all the audio stuff and the black levels as mentioned. Anyone have any experience with the Pioneer Elite and could shed some light? Thx for any suggestions.
    Best,
    -Steve O.

2. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I can't answer your question but I just want to say that I too am not a fiddler. I rather have "an expert" come in an configure my system. The peace of mind knowing that everything is perfect works for me. [​IMG] I'm considering the the Elite player as well. Can you tell us what you think of it and what led you to your choice?

3. Stephen Ozcomert

Stephen Ozcomert Auditioning

Well, my DVD died and I wanted a player with good build quality that had all the bells and whistles I needed--progressive scan, component video, coax out, etc. I bought a Sony unit for about $300 and was not real happy (it was feather light and only had a 90 day guarantee) so I took it back. I liked the looks, 2 year guarantee, and reputation and build quality of the Pioneer Elite (which got good reviews on AudioReview.com and was not overly concerned about chroma stuff on freeze frame. The only thing that kept me from buying it was the $800 price at the local retailer. Well, I found it online for $590 including shipping and that sealed the deal. So far, I am quite pleased with both picture and sound quality and both are, I believe, superior to both the Mits and Sony. FWIW.
    Best,
    -Steve O.