New DVD Player SACD,DVD-A, etc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Beck, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Andrew Beck

Andrew Beck Stunt Coordinator

I have a quick question. the time is coming where I need to replace my old DVD player (panasonic a110, don't laugh at the time i bought it i was a sophmore in college and that was the only thing in my price range that did DTS). I want a DVD player that can play pretty much any disc format: CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, and DVD-R (these are all pretty standard now I think). DVD-RW+ and/or DVD-RAM would also be beneficiul but not necessary. Does such a player exist?

Also... Are there ever going to be players that play both DVD-A and SACD? If/When I get a new player I would like to have the ability to play one of those formats, but I'd like to choose the one that is going to win the format war. Is there going to be a player with both? Maybe after CES something will appear?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Apex is supposed to make such a beast at an affordable price point (US$300 or 400 I think).

Alternatively, Pioneer will probably be introducing a player at CES (Elite DV-47A is the guess) that will handle just about everything you mentioned.

Regards,

3. Andrew Beck

Apex kind of scares me... not really known for quality. The pioneer sounds intriguing. Anyone have any info on it?

4. John Kotches

Andrew,

Look for information on the DV-747, which is what this player is referred to as abroad.

Regards,

5. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

Does the DV-747 play the DSD stream natively or does it convert it to PCM like the Pioneer AX-10?

From what I understand, Denon is a licencee of the SACD format and they already make DVDA players so I'm keeping my fingers crossed we'll see a progressive Denon DVD player that does DVDA and *TRUE* DSD decoding at CES....

6. John Kotches

Kelly,

I haven't heard, but given that DACs are in the marketplace that allow for DSD and PCM encoding on the same piece of silicon I wouldn't be surprised if it's handling both formats natively.

Regards,

7. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

I doubt we'll ever see a player that can play both DVD-A's and SACD's, since (if I'm not mistaken) they are competing formats, with SACD being proprietary to Sony. Of course if Sony wants to license out their format that could change!

8. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Pioneer's Elite DV-47A would still have the chroma bug...wouldn't it? Is anything yet known about the chipset used in this machine?

9. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

David, the Pioneer AX-10 has been on the market for around a year now and plays both DVDA and 2ch SACD...

Sony/Phillips *are* licensing out SACD and @ the last CES in January, there were a list of SACD licensees (many of whom also happen to be DVDA license holders) including many popular brands like Onkyo, Denon and Pioneer...

Universal players are on the way, as both the demand and the appeal of such a player is high...

10. Andrew Beck

Well, so the players are coming out. Anyone know when there will be info or pricing on them? the apex player looks like it does everything I want, however I don't think it will be of a high enough quality for me to want that in my system for any length of time. But if someone else were to release one in the $500-1000 range i would be all over it.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I called J&R Music World today, and not surprisingly, they still don't have the Apex AD-7701. The salesman said they were expecting it months ago and doesn't know when it will be in stock. My take is that it won't ever be in stock. [​IMG]

12. Andrew Beck

I'm not to conserned about the 7701 though. I think I'd stay clear of anything by apex no matter how intriguing it looked. I'm hoping pioneer or someone like that puts out a player in the $500 to $1000 range that does everything. But I can't find any news.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andrew said:

14. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

The new Pionner Elite player interests me too... Can't wait too see it. [​IMG]