New DVD player recommendations

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Chevalier, Sep 13, 2006.

1. John Chevalier

John Chevalier Stunt Coordinator

I'm currently upgrading my HT setup. I currently have a Panny RP82 and it has been pretty good, but is starting to slow down, and is taking a long time to access menu's and stuff like that. The viewing is still good.

I'd like something that will be at least equal to that. I spent a couple hundy on this a few years ago, so I'd like to spend the same now. At BB and others the players are so cheap, that i'm worried I would be getting a lower quality player.

I would mostly just like 480p, as it will be a while before I want something better right now. So whats good out there in terms of video chips, and quality.

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Best 3 budget DVD players are: Oppo 970, Denon DVD-1730, Oppo 971. My first choice would be the Oppo 971 [​IMG]

3. John Chevalier

The Oppo 971 looks good, and at a respectable price.

Anyone else suggest something else?

4. John Chevalier

Okay, dumb questions.

1. This says that is has a 5.1 audio mix setup. I have 7.1 speakers(currently 6.1, will I still be able to watch DTX ES and stuff like that?

2. I keep seeing everywhere that you have to use DVI to get a higher format than 480i. Is that correct? I would at least want to use 480p with component connections.

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Honestly I wouldn't spend more than $100 dollars on a DVD player. Upconversion players in this range don't offer much more than Progressive scan players 480p over component. I would advise a Sony progressive player for about 70 bucks.

If the DVD player has a digital output and can do Bitstream Dolby Digital and DTS (the player will say dobly digital and DTS on the front of the player if it does) then it will give your receiver the raw data of whatever audiotrack you select weather it is DTS ES 6.1 or Dolby EX 6.1 or just plain old 5.1.

6. John Chevalier

well my main concern is issues like the chroma bug and stuff like that. Is that even an issue anymore?

7. Alon Goldberg

A Progressive Scan DVD Player will output 480p over Component. However, in order to take advantage of HDMI Upconversion (720p/1080i or even 1080p) you will need to use DVI or HDMI.

You may find this thread useful as well (scroll down to the comment by Dave H): http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/....php?p=2965601

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The 971 does not output component 480p.

The 970 does and it looks pretty good...especially for the money. I can't say for sure if it would be quite as good as your Panasonic (I used to have both players, but never got to A/B them).

The Panasonic S77/97 output 480p component, but I've been told they don't quite match the RP-82 by people who had both players.

I've heard some good things about the new Denon 1730, but not sure how it would compare against the Oppo 970.

I have to admit I'd be curious how you think the 970 compares against the RP-82 after calibration.

9. Alon Goldberg

Thanks Dave, good to know! Most people considering new DVD players today in the $200 range have DVI or HDMI, so I hadn't considered that the new players may not output Progressive Scan over component.

10. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I own an RCA drc257N dvd player.. I noticed the picture on upconversion as very nice.. better then progressive.
    the player is under 100 bucks. I use HDMI to DVI for the hook up.
    I am interested in the oppo 971. I have to save up for it.

Jacob

11. John Chevalier

I'm not an expert in HT, but just about everyone including myself has commented on how much better DVD's look on my RP-82 than anything they have seen.

I think i'm probably just going to wait until I get a newer TV with HDMI before I upgrade. I will just hold my breath, i nthe hopes that my RP-82 doesn't crap out on me.

12. Dave H

Dave H Producer

If I recall, there are used Panasonic XP-30s (same as RP-82 better but spindle motor) for $100 or less out there. If your RP-82 does die soon, you could always go that route.