New DVD Player, How much of a difference will it make?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Arron H, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

My current DVD player, a Toshiba SD5700, is on its last legs and I am probably going to need to buy a new player soon. What I am trying to figure out is whether to buy a more expensive player in the $1000 range or look at the lower priced models in the $300 - $500 range such as the Denon 1600 on closeout.

Is there a huge improvement in overall audio/video performance in the entire HT system when you add a $1000 player as compared to their lower priced cousins? At the rate that technology is progressing, I am somewhat gunshy about pulling the trigger on a $1000 Denon, Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, Rotel, etc. unless the addition of a higher cost player leads to an overall system performance increase in AV quality that is heads and shoulders above the benefit of adding a $300 - $500 player.

My current system is:

Rotel RSP1066 processor
    Rotel RMB1075 amp
    N805s mains
    601s surrounds
    HTM2 center
    Adire Rava sub
    Toshiba SD5700 DVD

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

1000 will easily get you a nice universal player like the Yamaha or Denon ones. The universal capability is what makes it worth the money, not the picture quality. the picture quality can be just as good on a 300-500 dollar model.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Just curious, but what's wrong with your SD-5700?

4. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

If it is just the universal aspect, I'll go with a less expensive player.

Jack, the SD5700 has a freezing problem. At first, it would freeze for a few seconds and then resume playback so that you would miss a few seconds of the movie. Now, it is locking up completely. You have to stop the movie completely and even then, the freezing problem continues. Also, it is really loud. I can hear the disc revolving in the player from the seating position 10 feet away during quiet sceens.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And you've kept the player relatively dust-free and have fed it reasonably clean discs? It's disturbing when these units fail so quickly.

6. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Jack, I believe so. I do rent quite a few movies but try to run the cleaning disc per the recommendations. I have ordered a Denon 1600 - planning to move the Toshiba to the bedroom. I am somewhat worried about the build quality of the Denon. The BQ was the only thing that seemed to come up as a recurring weakness on the reviews that I checked.

7. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Denons have the best build qualities - so don't worry about that!

8. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Arron,

You will not be disappointed with the 1600's build or performance quality. It weighs 6.5lbs which is actually a little above average for a mass market DVD player today. The DVD-A/CD playback on the 1600 is very good. There were some things (lack of a time remaining display) that irked me about the 1600, but I was willing to live with them because the player really delivered where it mattered. I now have the 2900 and it is built much better than the 1600 weighing nearly three times as much. The audio quality is better on all formats on the 2900 and the video quality is a coin toss and matter of preference. Players are being built cheaper and cheaper these days with inferior parts, and Toshiba, Panasonic, JVC, and other major companies have all abandoned the higher-end $500- $1,000 market and instead opted to go the Best Buy consumer route. Investing in a 1600 will be money well spent.

Reg

9. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

I'm really looking forward to the new player (it should e here Friday). Good news on the BQ of Denon. [​IMG]