What's new

New DVD Player - DVI, HDMI, Upconvert? (1 Viewer)

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

I haven't spent a lot of time following DVD players lately, but I just bought a new tv (Sony KD-34XBR960) and I definitely need a new DVD player now!

Here's what I can figure out so far:

- This TV has only one HDMI input; cable box has DVI out, so I can get a DVI-to-HDMI cable for this, which I presume will be better than component.
- Clearly I need a progressive scan player. Would I benefit from a player that upconverts to 720p or 1080i.
- Being that this is not a fixed pixel display, would I get as much of a benefit from an upconverting player as say, somebody with a HD plasma?
- I want the best connection possible for the DVD player, and the TV supports fire wire apparently. Are there any DVD players that output a signal through fire wire? Is is better than using component?

So, I guess I'm asking for recommendations for a progressive DVD player that outputs through fire wire, unless that's worse than component.

Thanks.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Since you have that awesome TV, I'm assuming budget isn't much of a problem here:

Denon 3910, Pioneer 59avi. Or get a Denon 5900 at a discount since it's been discontinued. Crutchfields has a few left.

Over the next couple of months, most of the major brands are putting out new players with HDMI and so forth. Just keep a look out.

Don't bother with firewire. Just use HDMI. ;)

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
EricRWem: Since I only have one HDMI input, wouldn't I want to use that for the HD from the cable box? Shouldn't I use the best connection for the best signal?

Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Doug while that is conventional wisdom.. It is not set in stone, I recently proved this point to a Samsung DLP owner.

I actually swapped the connections around some, and his HD didn't seem to degrade any on Component Video, yet his DVD was way way better upscaled to his native display resolution of 720p. This all by his own admission, he could tell immeadiately the difference on the DVD player for the better though. So it still requires some experimentation to really see what is the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks